Restaurants in Bristol

We likely homely, down-to-earth restaurants/pubs and we're in Bristol in July. Any recommendations please?

Thank you.
“It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living.”

F. Scott Fitzgerald

Comments

• BunnieJ
    BunnieJ Posts: 418 Forumite
    Will you be staying in the city centre? There are lots of pubs/restaurants to choose from. There are quite a few nice pubs by the harbourside where you can sit out by the river if the weather's nice :) it also depends how much you want to spend.
  • Fruittea
    Fruittea Posts: 956
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    You'll find all the usual brands both in Cabot and the Harbourside. So remember to takes any vouchers or codes that are on offer for the Prezzo's etc.

Here's a link to Harbourside http://www.harboursidealive.co.uk/social

Also places like ZaZa bazaar where you can eat as much world food as you like for £8.99. Also Cosmo - pan Asian which has a similar deal.

Bristol is quite a large city so it's best to plan where you want to go. In July there's usually something going on around the dock area. And in Millenium square you can sit and watch the huge tele and have a picnic.
    It's probably best to say where you are staying then people can make more local suggestions.
    Have fun.
  • roobee13
    roobee13 Posts: 204 Forumite
    Hi Sunny saver,

Are you staying in the centre or outskirts? The Harbour festival is on 19th-20th July I think, lovely as the harbourside is, it is rammed that weekend. I can deffo point you in the direction of some quieter places though, let me know! :)
  • Sunny_Saver
    Sunny_Saver Posts: 3,044
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    We're at the Premier Inn near the Centre, no brekkie included, so tips for that would be appreciated. We are there after the Harbour Festival. We went one year, it was fun.
    “It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living.”

F. Scott Fitzgerald
  • BunnieJ
    We're at the Premier Inn near the Centre, no brekkie included, so tips for that would be appreciated. We are there after the Harbour Festival. We went one year, it was fun.

If you walk away from the city centre (towards a place called Gloucester Road) there are plenty of places to get breakfast. The nearest is probably Boston Tea Party: http://www.bostonteaparty.co.uk/our_cafes/bristol-gloucester-road.php
  • roobee13
    roobee13 Posts: 204 Forumite
    Bunnie is spot on, Glos Rd is great for food places. In terms of quiet pubs etc, it's also good for that if you have a good wander. If you walk up St Michaels hill (VERY steep) you will also find lots of nice pubs too. I'd also recommend the Grain Barge or the Porthouse by the harbour. Can't seem to post links to them on my phone, sorry :(

Have a lovely time!!
  • Steve059
    Steve059 Posts: 2,686
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Avoid Zsa Zsa Bazaar on the harbourside and The Cowshed in Whiteladies Road: both are, IMHO, food poisoning outbreaks waiting to happen. Indeed, the ZZB has reviews from people who've suffered this. And the Cowshed's "game pie" is, by their own admission, beef.
    If you fold it in half, will an Audi A4 fit in a Citroen C5? :)
  • Sunny_Saver
    Sunny_Saver Posts: 3,044
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Yes, it's always helpful to have names of places to avoid too!

Thanks.

F. Scott Fitzgerald
  • BunnieJ
    Avoid Zsa Zsa Bazaar on the harbourside and The Cowshed in Whiteladies Road: both are, IMHO, food poisoning outbreaks waiting to happen. Indeed, the ZZB has reviews from people who've suffered this. And the Cowshed's "game pie" is, by their own admission, beef.

Never tried The Cowshed, but I don't think I want to now! My OH and I love going to ZZB (especially as they often post deal vouchers through out letterbox :)) but it's not for everyone. I often have a dodgy tummy after a meal out there, but I think it's more a case of me stuffing myself with too much food!

There's a place called The Stable on the harbourside which is very popular. They only do pizza, pies and cider. My OH would recommend a place called Mud-dock too, which is just a bit further on from there.

http://stablepizza.com/home/the-stable-bristol/
    http://www.mud-dock.co.uk/
  • roboticpink
    roboticpink Posts: 84
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    OMG are you kidding? The Cowshed is amazing - the food's incredible! But it is kind of expensive, too.

The Volunteer does very good food (esp roasts) and is quite near your hotel:
    www.volunteertavern.co.uk/

They're small though so get yourselves in early :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure