glass banisters

Options

Comments

• lstar337
    lstar337 Posts: 3,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Choose wisely, they have a tendency to make your house look like a visitor centre.
  • ChristineL
    ChristineL Posts: 103 Forumite
    Options
    I'm just in the middle of having glass balustrades with oak newell posts and handrails fitted. A bit like this

OakStairsWithBeadedGlassPanels.jpg
    But ours has 2 turns. Is that what you mean?
  • john.h
    john.h Posts: 349 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I done mine with glass a few years ago.. I cut a couple of templates for the glass and fitted it. The glass was a lot less than i thought it would be. 8mm toughened glass with polished and bevelled edges..

john..
  • mandm65
    mandm65 Posts: 556 Forumite
    Options
    ChristineL wrote: »
    I'm just in the middle of having glass balustrades with oak newell posts and handrails fitted. A bit like this

Thanks for sharing the photo, yep similar to yours but we would like to have our stair to be open plan. If you don’t mind please let me know where you got this done so at least we could get some idea on price before we set our heart on this :-)[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
  • mandm65
    mandm65 Posts: 556 Forumite
    Options
    john.h wrote: »
    I done mine with glass a few years ago.. I cut a couple of templates for the glass and fitted it. The glass was a lot less than i thought it would be. 8mm toughened glass with polished and bevelled edges..

john..

Sounds like a good idea to get the glass ordered seprately, it might help to keep the cost down!!:cool:
  • cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    Options
    john.h wrote: »

john..

Who told you 8mm was the correct spec?
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
  • cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    Options
    ChristineL wrote: »

Without offence, it looks like a work in progress, if it was mine I'd split spindles and glue them to the glass:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

I'm again sorry for that but I am sure that would be off putting to some, but each to his own, my comments are really to highlight that it may not add desireability when it comes to a sale, or it may enhance it. One thing for sure, it will affect it.;)
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
  • ChristineL
    Options
    We got 3 quotes for our job. All specified 10mm toughened glass. The quotes ranged from around £5,700 to £7,000 including vat.

I did ask on here before we got the quotes if anyone had any advice but didn't get much response.

The firm we're using are a local joinery firm.

The photo I posted isn't my house. It's just one I found on the web that's a similar style of staircase.
  • john.h
    john.h Posts: 349 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 4 June 2014 at 7:25PM
    Options
    Who told you 8mm was the correct spec?
    The local glazing shop. He has been in business for over 35 years so i trusted his advice when i told him what it was for and the sizes.

I also used these type of brackets, not these exact ones but the same thing http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4x-Stainless-Steel-304-Glass-Clip-Clamp-Bracket-Flat-Back-for-Handrail-8-10-mm-/300963221147?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4612ce4e9b

John....
  • ChristineL
    edited 4 June 2014 at 9:24PM
    Options
    Those brackets look similar to the ones our joiner is using.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure