Grandparents details on child passport application

Options
We are currently filling in a passport application for a child (5 months old) but as both parents were born after 1982, we're trying to find out which grandparents details are need. Is it ok to use paternal grandparents, or do they need maternal grandparents as well? Have hunted online, but not had a definite answer, and
I've also tried ringing passport advice line on thursday, and left my number to ring back, but they didn't ring until the following day when I was out all day. Would ideally like to get applications sent off ASAP so if anyone can help, or point me in the right direction, it'd be much appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It says it right here in the guidance notes

If both parents were born after 31 December 1982, or were born outside the UK, in
    section 8 of the application form you must give either:
    the full name, town, country of birth and date of marriage of your mother’s parents and your father’s parents or details of your parents’ claim to British nationality

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/documents/digitalasset/dg_184487.pdf

Your child's mother's parent and your child's father's parents are both sets of your child's grandparents.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • ironed_out
    ironed_out Posts: 153 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 1 June 2014 at 10:30AM
    Options
    Thank you peachyprice. We'll have to persevere with getting all details from baby's maternal grandparents :/
    Passport forms only give you 3 lines to give 4 grandparents names, towns,country's, & date of births, and date of marriages! :D
  • whitewing
    whitewing Posts: 11,852 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    When I did DS' his dad would not provide some of the paternal grandparents' details (eg date of marriage). So I just had to write a covering letter to explain why I couldn't provide some of the details.
    :heartsmil When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ironed_out wrote: »
    We'll have to persevere with getting all details from baby's maternal grandparents :/

If you've got approximate details, you can buy copies of their birth and marriage certificates.
  • smudge56
    smudge56 Posts: 643 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    If the mother had a British passport at the time the child was born, grandparents details are not required.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure