Annoying Noise from Boiler

The combi-boiler is over 10 years old (so old-ish in terms of boiler life). In the last few years, I've had a new pump, diverter valve and expansion vessel fitted. The boiler is powered by electricity and generally on stand-by (plugged in at the mains and switched on).

Just in the last couple of days, I've noticed that the sound made by the boiler in stand-by mode is louder and the noise is not unlike I've hit the switch on the boiler itself for central heating (i.e. sounding like it's firing up and cycling). The sound is like an annoying howling whereas, in stand-by mode, it used to sound similar, but at a much lower level; this current one is far louder.

Whatever the "problem", I'm still getting piping hot water and radiator heat.

I know it's a weird one, and I'm sorry if I'm not explaining this well enough, but if someone could offer any ideas as to what is going on, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks! :T

Comments

• cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    The combi-boiler is over 10 years old (so old-ish in terms of boiler life). In the last few years, I've had a new pump, diverter valve and expansion vessel fitted. The boiler is powered by electricity and generally on stand-by (plugged in at the mains and switched on).

Just in the last couple of days, I've noticed that the sound made by the boiler in stand-by mode is louder and the noise is not unlike I've hit the switch on the boiler itself for central heating (i.e. sounding like it's firing up and cycling). The sound is like an annoying howling whereas, in stand-by mode, it used to sound similar, but at a much lower level; this current one is far louder.

Whatever the "problem", I'm still getting piping hot water and radiator heat.

I know it's a weird one, and I'm sorry if I'm not explaining this well enough, but if someone could offer any ideas as to what is going on, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks! :T

I don't know if 10 year old combis have that facility but certainly new ones do. IE, they can be set to a standby mode in which the boiler keeps firing occasionally in order to keep the internals warm to enable quicker supply of hot water.

Post the details, model etc, 1 of the resident HEs will give you a few pointers I'm sure, but regardless it seems you may need a "visit".

Incidentally don't right off a 10 year old combi, mine was changed 3 weeks ago. It was 17 years old and still functioning perfectly. I'd tell you how many times it was serviced in that time but I'm too embarrassed to print it, :o:o, ;);)
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
  • Well, a little upset to find the boiler now not firing up properly this morning. So, no central heating and hot water now. Phoned British Gas as I have Homecare cover and the guy was uber~efficient and checked everything out for me. In the end it turned out to be caused by a little dust and grit. This also affected this morning's problem, so all sorted now.
    :D
    I'm a happy man once again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family