Overgrown tree

Options
Hi, there is tree on footpath outside my home which is really overgrown and branches touching my roof. It is protected by council also.

So my question is can i ask council to prune it.(i have reported it once and they have ignored my request)

and can i use home insurance legal cover to ask lawyer to write to council?

IMG_20140520_101623142_HDR.jpg

Comments

• trailingspouse
    trailingspouse Posts: 4,035 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You can certainly ask the council to do something - it might concentrate their collective minds if you point out that it is likely to damage your roof. For example, it could knock tiles off which could land on the public footpath below. I don't think you need to use a lawyer at this stage - make a few phone calls, find the name of the person/department that you need to contact, and put things in writing. Don't just tell them what the problem is, tell them what you want them to do about it

However, all councils are hard-pressed at the moment and this sort of thing is absolutely not at the top of their priority list.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • afzaal1988
    afzaal1988 Posts: 285 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    thanks for the reply. I have done it in writing through there website to report it to there highway department. It was about 3 weeks ago and they haven't replied or done anything.

Bytheway tiles wont land on footpath as it's semi detached and has driveway on side of the property and quite big garden at the front.
  • missindecisive
    Options
    If they don't respond first time, send this photo explaining you will hire a tree surgeon yourself and will send them the bill.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    afzaal1988 wrote: »
    Hi, there is tree on footpath outside my home which is really overgrown and branches touching my roof. It is protected by council also.
    If they don't respond first time, send this photo explaining you will hire a tree surgeon yourself and will send them the bill.

If by "protected" you mean there is a TPO in place, don't do anything to the tree without permission or you could end up in court.

Have you tried talking to the Tree Protection Officer rather than Highways or asking your local councillor to come round and look at the problem?
  • afzaal1988
    edited 31 May 2014 at 10:15PM
    Options
    yes tpo is in place. so can't hire somebody to do it for me.

i haven't bothered calling Councillor yet as i did not get yes or no answer from council yet.
    i emailed council and they forwarded my email to highway as it's them who maintain the trees on public highway
  • afzaal1988
    Options
    Would somebody be kind enough to pm me the draft letter so i can print this picture and send it to council recorded delivery
  • Jenniefour
    Jenniefour Posts: 1,393 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    OP - draft letter.

"Dear Council,

I contacted you on DATE (enclose copy of your email) concerning a tree on the footpath adjacent to my house which has a TPO on it. As yet I have had no response to my request in this email to have this tree trimmed so it is no longer overhanging and touching my roof. I would like this to be dealt with as a matter of urgency so that the roof of my house does not get damaged and to prevent accidents to members of my family and to passing pedestrians should tiles be dislodged by this tree.

I enclose photographs of the tree which evidence that the tree has now grown to the extent that branches are touching the roof and that there are now potential safety issues as well as possible future costs to yourselves should any damage be caused to the roof by this tree. ".

OP, send this in writing (not email) and find out beforehand who to address it to e.g. Miss Tree Person, Highways Department. Make sure you have proof of posting and keep a copy of the letter for yourself. Take a couple more photo's. If possible, one standing well back from your house which shows the whole tree and demonstrates better that the branches are actually touching the roof.

If no response within a couple of weeks send a reminder (by post) including a copy of the letter you are sending now and the email and copy it in to your local councillor - making clear on the letter you are doing so. On the bottom of this other letter (if needed) put c.c Mr Local Councillor. Find out his /her name.

OP, I take it you own your property, if not amend letter accordingly.

Good luck!!
  • afzaal1988
    Options
    Thanks alot Jenniefour
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income