Moving house, should I switch

Hi,

I've just come on to EDF's standard tariff - ouch! Thing is I'll be moving house in about 6-8 weeks. If I switch to a cheaper tariff can I take it with me to my new house or will I just end up with penalties for leaving in a couple of months?

thanks

Fed up of final demands, whining relatives and Debtors' Prison?

Wonga - Your soul is ours! :mad:

Comments

• dogshome
    dogshome Posts: 3,877 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    As it can take up to 6 weeks to Switch to another company, your best bet is to change to a cheaper tariff from EDF - This can be done online or over the phone and the change will be immediate - Take meter reading(s) on the day you do this so the billing for the old and new tariff is accurate.

It matters not if there are charges for leaving the new tariff early, as in the circumstances of a house move they cannot be charged
  • Thanks, just did that - and 'overread' the metre by a month to get a bit extra at the old rate ;)

Fed up of final demands, whining relatives and Debtors' Prison?

Wonga - Your soul is ours! :mad:
  • keith1950
    keith1950 Posts: 2,597 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Just to be clear.....you cannot take your new tarrif with you.....the account has to be closed at your old house and accurate readings given on the day of moving.

At your new address you have to register with the existing supplier, whoever it may be, giving them accurate readings on the day you move in, you are then free to switch supplier at the new property.

I just hope your over read doesn't complicate things...by which I mean I hope that your closing readings at the old property are not lower than your inflated readings otherwise you could end up paying for some of the new occupiers supply !!
  • admania
    admania Posts: 48 Forumite
    Just to clear things up, you can take your existing tariff with you to your new property, from EDF webpage. If the new property is with another supplier you can transfer to EDF on your existing tariff

"If you'd like to take EDF Energy to continue as your energy supplier at your new home then we'll be happy to switch your existing tariff across.

We'll handle everything for you, just tell us you're moving and we'll get the ball rolling. We'll even contact the existing supplier at your new address, so that you'll continue to benefit from a tariff you know you're comfortable with."
  • keith1950
    keith1950 Posts: 2,597 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Nice in theory......doesn't always work smoothly in practice !.....I should not have used the word cannot and said its best to not try.

I know several people who have tried this and in 4 out of 5 cases it has been problematic.

Its 'best' to just follow the normal procedure and not try to complicate things.
  • Thanks, just did that - and 'overread' the metre by a month to get a bit extra at the old rate ;)

A metre is a unit of measurement. a meter measures your "bit extra"

Were I a diligent edf anti-fraud agent, I'd be looking for all people leaving in the SO area with unusually high leaving readings.....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure