Is that in England?

Just returned from posting a last minute eBay sale at my local PO.

The conversation went something like this:

Me: Second class, proof of postage please

PO: Is that in England? (pointing to the address)

Me: Sorry, what do you mean?

PO: North Umblerland? Is that in England?

Me: Are you serious?

PO: Well, I've never heard of Umberland

Me: Yes, its in England and it is one word, Northumberland. I don't understand your confusion.

PO: Well the North Pole is all one word and that's not in England

I kid you not...speechless

Comments

• quietheart
    quietheart Posts: 1,875 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I asked to send a parcel small packet rate to Barcelona, the P.O. worker put first class stamp on it, I said 'sorry it needs to be small packet rate to Spain' she replied 'how was I to know Barcelona was overseas?'
    Training might've been nice ;)
  • mrcol1000
    mrcol1000 Posts: 4,790 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    My homeland of the Isle Of Wight is one that confuses both post office staff and couriers. It takes a lot of convincing that is not part of France. Although one post office worker told me she knew it is part of England as it is off the coast of Blackpool (!!!)
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I had a London job agency phone me about a vacancy ... then then asked me ... "which county is Cornwall in?"
  • SpiralingDown
    SpiralingDown Posts: 2,558 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    mrcol1000 wrote: »
    My homeland of the Isle Of Wight is one that confuses both post office staff and couriers. It takes a lot of convincing that is not part of France. Although one post office worker told me she knew it is part of England as it is off the coast of Blackpool (!!!)

Northern Ireland's as bad with many of them, I've been told it's extra because it's not part of the UK!! Or been told they don't ship to Ireland. The best one yet has been 'Northern Ireland doesn't exist!' I could rant for hours about the number of arguments I've had over this :rotfl::mad::o
    SPC #329 £471/£500 banked
    SPC 2014 £1100:D
    Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times if one only remembers to turn on the light
    "Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?” ― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Some couriers (Fedex for example) do charge a supplement islands including to the IoW . They seem to know where it is though!

Regarding N Ireland it is best not to write it on post at all in the same way counties are not needed. RM's preferred format is the street and town followed by the postcode.
  • BigSister2008
    BigSister2008 Posts: 4,782 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    we spend our time between NI and tenerife, had problems with both

best being when we wrote canary islands as advised after tenerife (not spain as its "technically" not part of spain our parcel took 3 months to turn up as it went to the CAYMAN ISLANDS lol

Obsessed with GAZZA

LOVING Harry Harry HurriKANE COYS
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    we spend our time between NI and tenerife, had problems with both

best being when we wrote canary islands as advised after tenerife (not spain as its "technically" not part of spain our parcel took 3 months to turn up as it went to the CAYMAN ISLANDS lol
    Tenerife is part of Spain isn't it? It's just that it is not part of the EU VAT area like Gibraltar and the Channel Islands. For post I would write Spain and let the postcode guide it to its destination.
  • Looks like all post office staff should be sent on a geography training course before they are given their jobs lol. I thought their computers would show which country all the towns are in when they key in the info to print the label?
    £5 a day challenge ~ May £56.72/£155 July £125/£155
  • Avoriaz
    Avoriaz Posts: 39,110 Forumite
    Only Fools and Horses.

Uncle Albert is being questioned in court by Gerrard.
    Gerrard:

I see! But you can remember the war! After all, you have all your ribbons there to remind you. Where were you based Mr Trotter?

Albert:

I was overseas sir.

Gerrard:

Really, how odd! I looked into your naval record and it seems that you spent the best part of the war stationed in a storage depot on the Isle of Wight! Hardly overseas!

Albert:

You wanna try walking it pal!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family