problems with new front door

Options
I bought a new front door for £1000 after moving into a new home in November 2013 and paid £250 deposit. on 23 December 2013 the company cam and fitted the new door. initially i was very happy with the door, however over the next couple of weeks the door started to warp and not fit right. The company contacted me for final payment and i told them i was not paying due to the issues. A few days later a man cam out to look at it and said that it was definitely bent. in his words "ITS BANNANA'D" he took some photographs and then went away and said he would order a new one. about a week later i had a visit from a different guy from the company he also just looked and said its bent and went away promising a new door. About another week or so later a 3rd man came out this time he took a video of the door. he again went away saying he would sort another door out.

About 2-3 weeks later i received the replacement door. the guy fitted it and as soon as it was he went not giving me time to look at it. When he left within about 10-15 minutes i was on the phone to the company complaining because i had found 10 faults with the door including fairly big chips out of the door, sharp edges which my 2 year old daughter could easily cut her self on and yet again the door was warped. within an hour i had a representative from the company who tried to tell me the warpedness was how the door should be and it was all in my head. after about 20 minutes of him arguing with me and releasing i wasn't going to back down he agreed to sort the issues out. about 4 weeks later i received a phone call to say they had another new door for me this making my 3rd. they came and fixed it a few days later.

Again the guy fitted the door and left giving me no time to look it over. you guessed it within minutes i had found a number of faults. this time the door did not fit properly and was visibly catching on the door frame. The lock was poor and difficult to lock and there was scratches on the end plate. I contacted the company and they sent 2 guys out and both said the lock was faulty and the door had not been fitted properly however they did not have the correct tool to adjust the door as its a relatively a new style and they would have to order one from the manufacturers. about a week later one of them came back to fit the door properly however he did not have a new lock but agreed that the current lock was getting worse and he would get one sorted out. about 2 weeks later bringing me up to yesterday he arrived and fitted the new lock. the lock works a lot better but the end plate does not sit 100% flush. I've got to the point were i have had enough and i prepared to just live with it.

However my issue now is they are going to want the remaining £750 for the door. I do not believe the door is worth anywhere near the original £1000 they quoted me due to the poor quality and hassle that i have had just trying to get a new door as far as I'm concerned the door is worth half of what they said and i don't really want to pay anymore than an additional £250 for it as any more and i will feel like I've been ripped off.

Can anyone tell me what rights i have and what i can legally do.

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You say .
    I've got to the point were i have had enough and i prepared to just live with it.

Thats accepting the product so they will want paying in full .
    Tell them you want the job finished and up to standard by recorded letter .
    You can negotiate with the company for a discount or pay under protest and take them to the small claims court .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure