We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Pond cleaner

Options
Hi all,

Have a pond around 2000 litres which is in direct sunlight. I have a fountian/filter/UV light and seperatly another pump operating a water fall. Within the pond there are around 20 small fish.

Over the past year the pond has become very 'pea soup' like with you not being able to see any more than just into the water.

Does anyone have a tip on a product to clean it up and remove green water/algae. I have tried barley straw, Blagdon Green Away and am considering Hydra Pond Clear Plus, however would like to know if this is any good or if there is anything better out there before I spend my money.

Comments

• wallbash
    wallbash Posts: 17,775 Forumite
    Options
    When did you last change the UV tube?? You should change every year.
    I have a green Genie system , fountain/ uv and water fall. and pleased to say my water is very clear in direct sunlight, but the water Lillie's are growing fast.
  • wellused
    wellused Posts: 1,678 Forumite
    Options
    Do you have any pond plants, my pond is about the same size as yours and gets sunshine for at least 3/4 of the day and yet the water is clear and I have very little algae growth. I run a filter all year but never have the uv on. I have around seven fish although I did have twice as many until a heron got involved about a month ago, fish do increase the nitrites and nitrates in the water and you need a good stock of pond plants to take that out of the water, introduce pond plants which use the nitrates which reduces the food to fuel algae growth.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,565 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What filter and UV do you have? As above the bulbs degrade after about 6 months, So a new bulb each year is probably best.

I found one of the small hozelock filters great for getting the really fine waste. They did clog up rather quickly though.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• surrey_jim
    surrey_jim Posts: 96 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. The UV filter pump is new this year, hence have not changed the bulb. My previous us pump/filter/light packed up on me over winter.
    I have pond plants, from memory 2 or 3 lillies and a preplanted wildlife basket on lip to the side.
  • wallbash
    wallbash Posts: 17,775 Forumite
    Options
    Are you certain the uv light is working ? I had problems with the starter a couple of years ago.
    If i remember correctly you test the bulb by holding a white piece of card near to the end/or a small hole , check instructions .
    Otherwise you seem to have done everything correctly, your water should be as clear as crystal
  • surrey_jim
    surrey_jim Posts: 96 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks will test the bulb is working ok.

Appreciate the advice all :)
  • Babafette
    Babafette Posts: 1,530 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    I would definitely advise checking the UV bulb is working, sometimes they just give up the ghost after a few months.

You could also try Cloverleaf Blanket Answer for the algae - it doesn't look pretty for a few days as it turns the water milky but it seems to do the trick. Then add Blagdon Pond Sludge Buster to the water. We have also recently started using Evolution Aqua Pure Pond in our filter which are biodegradable balls full of live bacteria to help keep the water clear.

Hope that helps. :)
    Time may be a great healer, but it's a lousy beautician.... :/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family