We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Help with Christmas tree please... gone brown!

Options
Scaredy_Cat_3
Scaredy_Cat_3 Posts: 2,812 Forumite
edited 29 May 2014 at 10:10PM in Gardening
Please can someone advise me? We bought a small Christmas tree a couple of years ago, it's about 2 ft tall and has lived outdoors in a pot all the time. It's recently turned brown which (I've read) may mean it's already dead. However, it does have some new green shoots on the ends of the branches, so I hope it can still be saved. Does anyone know how we can revive it please?

Comments

• I_have_spoken
    I_have_spoken Posts: 5,051 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry to say, but I think it is indeed a goner. Firs (other than yew) won't regrow green once the foliage is dead. I suspect it's got too dry in the pot.
  • Scaredy_Cat_3
    Scaredy_Cat_3 Posts: 2,812 Forumite
    Options
    Will have to check - I wasn't sure if it needed to be dry or moist and the weather has been quite changeable here lately. It could have had too much water, or too much sun. I'm still hopeful as it has new green shoots on the ends of quite a few branches so it can't be completely dead. I just don't know what to do to give it the best chance of survival.
  • peter_the_piper
    peter_the_piper Posts: 30,268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    About the best you can do is to repot to bigger pot and keep moist. You can't drown a potted plant in the summer(assuming adequate drainage) but you can dessicate them.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure