PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Rent Arrears and Probate

Options
verysad52
verysad52 Posts: 15 Forumite
edited 28 May 2014 at 9:14AM in House buying, renting & selling
Anyone out there who can help me? I rented out a flat to a man who was charged with Harassment and could not go back to the flat, but he refused to either pay the rent or vacate when this ruling was made. Finally after 22 months he vacated and my solicitor suggested only after he had vacated that I should claim for rent arrears, since the claim would still be within the 6 years time allowance. I wrote two letters to the man asking him to pay the rent arrears and received no replies. I received a phone call a few months later to say that the man had died suddenly aged 55 years. I have put in my claim to the Executors and have received a one line receipt of my letter and attachments to show his tenancy agreement, rental schedule and witness statements. How long are the Executors allowed to wait before giving me a response to my letter saying whether they accept the claim or not. I know that the deceased has made a right mess of his finances and there are other debts outstanding, but he does have land and property.

The amount outstanding to me alone is £14 500. Thank you.

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't really understand how a tenant came to be dened acess to his home due to harassment - was this a domestic? Was he a joint tenant?

If so, why were you not pursuing the other joint tenant for the rent?

Or indeed why you waited 22 months to pursue him!!!?

Having said that, if you wish to pursue his Estate, you need to write a 'Letter Before Action' to his Executers giving them, say, 2 weeks to resolve the matter, then sue.

You might be need to be more flexible since it may be that the estate's assets are frozen pending Probate.
  • verysad52
    Options
    The tenant was renting the top flat and I am in the garden flat. I gave him the Statutory Notice to Vacate (2 months) and after that he harassed both my daughter and myself, resulting in his bail conditions saying he was not to return to the flat. You ask why he was denied access... he shot a bullet through my window, flooded the flat and broke into my garden flat and vandalised my car. The Court case was delayed several times by him turning up drunk and it took over 18 months to get to Court. I received a letter to say as Landlord that I was not allowed to remove his belongings. After his conviction he was not allowed to return to the flat, or anywhere near either of us so he only then decided to vacate. Perhaps he thought that if he was not found guilty of harassment, he would be able to just make things difficult by staying in the flat and not paying rent, forcing me to spend yet more money on solicitor's bills. It was only when he agreed to Vacate that I could proceed as I was told I cannot make a claim for rent arrears when I did not know the exact amount.
  • Foxy-Stoat_3
    Foxy-Stoat_3 Posts: 2,980 Forumite
    Options
    Rent arrears of £14,500, how much was the rent?

You will be an un-secured creditor as such will be low on the list of getting paid which may make the Estate insolvent. If the deceased had no life cover you may not see any money unfortunately.

Get all your paperwork into the Executors and keep chasing them and hope for some money.
    "Dream World" by The B Sharps....describes a lot of the posts in the Loans and Mortgage sections !!!
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    For that kind of debt, in those circumstances, with that history..... engage a solicitor to deal with it.
  • Foxy-Stoat_3
    Foxy-Stoat_3 Posts: 2,980 Forumite
    Options
    DaftyDuck wrote: »
    For that kind of debt, in those circumstances, with that history..... engage a solicitor to deal with it.

First assess if there is any likelihood of ever receiving money back against the cost of the solicitor. @ £200+ plus VAT an hour I wouldn't be throwing more money away chasing a debt that may not be paid.
    "Dream World" by The B Sharps....describes a lot of the posts in the Loans and Mortgage sections !!!
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Probate is normally a matter of as long as it takes - has it been granted yet?

There is the concept of an executor's year during which time you can't really force the issue - other than making sure the executors have received and acknowledged your claim. (and yes you should press them on that) No point in doing any more until they have actually rejected it (then you can sue)

And as already mentioned there is a high probability that the estate won't be able to pay anyway.
  • rosyw
    rosyw Posts: 519 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Speaking as someone who has acted as an executor I would say by all means put in your claim to the estate and ask whether probate has been granted, or if not when it is likely to be granted, assuming of course that the estate even requires probate. If probate isn't required then there's little chance of getting paid as there simply won't be the money to pay you. Also do bear in mind that the executor/s may well be grieving over their loss and that although you do need to chase this, remember that this is NOT their debt, so constant chasing won't help and just makes thing more difficult and stressful for all concerned.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If the deceased did own land and property, the estate will have to go to probate.
  • verysad52
    Options
    The Executors are Solicitors. There is also the funeral expenses and a credit card bill for £6K. There is property with no mortgage on. There are four beneficiaries to the Will and so somewhere along the line, the tax man, the credit card company and whoever else who is owed money, will be able to recover their money. Is it appropriate to ask the Executors i.e the solicitors, if Probate has been granted?
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    verysad52 wrote: »
    Is it appropriate to ask the Executors i.e the solicitors, if Probate has been granted?

Can't think of any reason why you shouldn't.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure