PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

fruit salad

Options
seens all of u on here are very helpful u prob can help me

I need to start eating more fruit and losing weight but im fussy and only like it chopped up and mixed

how can I stop it going off/brown in fridge if I make a fruit salad of.. apple, pineapple, diff berries, grapes mango and kiwi need to make enough to last few days of 3 ish portions of fruit a day

thank you

Comments

• Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would go for tinned fruit or mixed frozen berries, these would both last.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,662 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Linda32 wrote: »
    I would go for tinned fruit or mixed frozen berries, these would both last.

I agree.

Lemon juice is meant to stop fruit going brown but I don't think it works that well for three days.

I'd second frozen berries with a big dollop of 0% Greek yogurt. Mmm!

ETA: you're better off eating more veg if you want to lose weight. Fruit has lots of sugar so go easy on it. I know it's natural sugar but it's still sugar.
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    Options
    The fruits you mention are all very expensive, I can't afford to buy them unless they are on a yellow sticker. Three days of fresh fruit salad won't keep very well in the fridge, can you keep the ingredients separate and make up one portion at a time?

As already mentioned there is sugar in fresh fruit, you would be better off upping your veg intake if you want to lose weight. I eat a big plate of steamed veg almost every day for my evening meal, and I am super slim.
    Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • good_advice
    good_advice Posts: 2,653 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee! Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Hello Vicky
    I too look for YS fruit and veg but not all we eat.

You could make up box of musli type cereal and add more raisons, dried fruit and nuts. Eat a bit at a time.

Cereal with added fruit, diced apple or a handful of grapes. Blackberries when in season - pick your own. For breakfast.

This morning I had for a snack x2 oranges. Not my fave rote because of the peel. I cut them up with a knife and used a cereal bowl and fork.

i do not think you can batch cut up fruit for several days, it always goes brown.

Have you got an electric steamer for potatoes and fresh veg ?
    I love using mine. It is so easy.

Try drinking water, with a tiny bit of squash.

Best wishes
    The secret to success is making very small, yet constant changes.:)
  • shammyjack
    shammyjack Posts: 2,685 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 27 May 2014 at 7:34PM
    Options
    Chopped Mint sprinkled on Strawberries with a tiny amount of fresh ground black pepper and left to marinade for a few hours with a bit of sugar gives them a new dimension !
  • sooty&sweep
    sooty&sweep Posts: 1,316 Forumite
    Options
    Hi
    I often chop a ripe pineapple & keep that in the fridge & when I want fruit salad take some & add other fruit eg banana, grapes etc. Alot of fruit won't be nice if you chop it & leave it in the fridge.
    Jen
  • trina2010
    trina2010 Posts: 487 Forumite
    Options
    Don't know if this helps but my granny used to make a big bowl of fruit salad and add some diet fizzy orange which seemed to keep it all fresh

Household 2 adults, 2 cats and baby boy (2.11.13)
    Married my wonderful husband on 2nd June 2012
    June GC: 0/300
  • allybee101
    allybee101 Posts: 736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You can keep apples, pears etc from going brown by sprinkling lemon juice over and tossing. Banana tends to go brown and smushy quite quickly but lemon will help a bit.
    I'd recommend you don't overdo the fruit (lots of natural sugars in fruit which aren't great, as Maman and Ilona said) and try replacing 1 or 2 helpings a day with veggies - carrot sticks, cucumber and peppers with a bit of houmous or cottage cheese (if you can't bear to eat them plain).
    Tinned fruit in juice (not syrup) is good if storage is an issue. I have natural yoghurt mixed with plain oats (for bircher style museli) topped with a bit of tinned fruit - v easy and quick.
    "Does it spark joy?" - Marie Kondo

"Do not wait; the time will never be "just right." Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." Napoleon Hill
  • Steve059
    Steve059 Posts: 2,686 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 28 May 2014 at 1:38PM
    Options
    As above, lemon juice. The browning is caused by an enzyme causing iron-containing chemicals to react with the oxygen in the air. Basically, the fruit is rusting. The enzyme is destroyed by acid.
    If you fold it in half, will an Audi A4 fit in a Citroen C5? :)
  • Mazzarati2000
    Mazzarati2000 Posts: 401 Forumite
    Options
    My mother in laws' Signature fruit salad is only melon balls, pineapple and strawberries, which could keep for 3 days, maybe adding the strawberries each day? Not a cheap option, but they are a lovely combination and would keep better than chopped apples and bananas.

I must admit that my initial reaction to your question was frozen berries as mentioned above. Failing that, Mr T's basic frozen fruit salad at c. 88p a bag is not too bad ( maybe as a stand-by), and although there are maybe only 2-3 portions in a bag, by defrosting a portion or two at a time it would always seem 'fresh' and could still work out better value than a large bowl of fresh fruit that resulted in a lot of waste on day 3.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure