We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Lots of stumps in garden

Options
chrissac
chrissac Posts: 24 Forumite
edited 27 May 2014 at 10:14AM in Gardening
So - not sure if I've been had but I hired a tree surgeon (door knocker but seem to have correct qualifications) to remove 7 x 15ft conifer trees and 5 other 10ft trees / shrubs and some giant rhubarb in a garden area we wanted clearing. Cost us £400 which I thought was fairly reasonable as there was a lot of garden waste clearance which would have required at least one skip worth.

Left them to it - after only a few hours they had finished and said they had poisoned the stumps but I investigated the stumps carefully and could see no evidence of such poisoning (no smell / grooves or holes in stumps). When I asked what poison they have applied they said the petrol that comes out of the chainsaw is enough which I suspect is a load of codswallop and argued that is just not enough but three burly guys wanting their money and adamant that they'd completed the job, in the end they agreed to cut in some grooves to the stumps for me to apply "more poison if I wish" which sufficed for me.

So now I have an area I want to patio over with a load of giant rhubarb stumps and 5 medium shrub stumps, should I simply spend a few evening to dig these out? And then I have 7 conifer stumps coming out of a small wall all pre grooved, should I simply look to poison these?

Any advice would be helped!

Comments

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family