Been acting up for over 2yrs, now at risk

Hi all

I am about to be put at risk following a re-structure.

I was not successful for a higher banded post within the restructure and am now at risk along with 6 colleagues. All of us are on the same banding pay-scale but three of us (myself included) are 'acting up' into that pay band for anywhere between 2-4 yrs.

2 suitable alternative posts are available at my current banding.

I have been offered other SAE posts that are two pay bands below my current banding. The policy is that one band below would be considered SAE. I have (informally) stated I would not consider these posts SAE based on my current role. The CEO states they are SAE based on my substantive contract.

Does anyone know whether it is reasonable for me to assume after 2yrs that I had a affirmed contract into the higher pay-scale. I performed well at the higher level with positive appraisals. No end date was put on the acting up so I had no reason to think this would come to an end.

Thanks
H23

Comments

• ableandy
    ableandy Posts: 265 Forumite
    I would ask which roles are being made redundant - your substantive role or the one you have been acting up into?

You would normally be considered in your substantive position as any acting up is simply an enhancement to your real position and you have been paid for that.

You may need to look into what the company policy is in these circumstances.
    :jI am an Employment Law Paralegal and an experienced Human Resources Manager and offer my guidance as simply that ... guidance :j
  • Thanks ableandy

The roles being made redundant all have the same title 'General Manager' and the different pay-scales were historical based on different sized departments.

After some internal re-jigs myself and 2 colleagues had increased remits to absorb/redistribute the workload after retirements. These were never substantiated as the long-term goal of the exec board was always to re-structure; just took them ages to get round to it.

So all the posts are redundant at both pay bands.

I hope that makes sense

H23
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Did these "acting up" positions have documented termination dates, if not I would say that after two year they are your current contractual positions.

The difference in grade is not enough to say it is suitable or not

look at everything especially the pay drop, protection period, status etc. if you want to argue not a suitable alternative.
  • Thanks, get more forless. No end date was put on my acting up position. I have had a formal meeting today and have again been asked to consider a post two bands lower than y current position. The CEO stated if I refused these jobs they would consider it my resignation!
  • antonic
    antonic Posts: 1,977 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    If you are temporarily promoted to a higher grade, then yes you will receive the pay & conditions of that higher grade, BUT when it ends you will revert back to your substantive grade.

Now following the restructure and being unsuccessful in applying for the job on a permanent basis, you are now being reverted back to your substantive grade, which is quite normal where I work in the Civil Service and you will revert back to the Terms & Conditions of your substantive grade - at least you will still have a job.
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 31 May 2014 at 4:13PM
    If YOUR job is redundant then what does it matter? You are redundant?
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 31 May 2014 at 5:34PM
    missile wrote: »
    If YOUR job is redundant then what does it matter? You are redundant?

Oh dear!

Because redundancy pay is a multiple of weekly pay (up to a certain cap). So, the OP would obviously like it to be based on the higher "acting up" earnings!

It could also mean that "suitable alternative employment" may be available at the higher level. If eligible for this then the OP would not be redundant!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure