PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

OlD STYLE DAILY - Saturday May 24th 2014

Options
Hi, this is the Daily Thread for Saturday May 24th 2014. This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or slow internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred.

When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Some people who chat here like to try to answer everyone. Don’t feel you have to though, a general “hi everyone, hope everyone’s well” type start does just as well.

Another can't sleep update…...

So we exchanged on the bungalow - thank the Heavens:T:T:T

I guess this is the start of a new era with my mother. She is coming to stay with me tomorrow as she seems to fade without constant company and support - Im hoping Nurse Molly Dog will take her under her paw as she is well known for looking after poorly humans:):):)

I have persuaded her to see Dad tomorrow - today - as I want her input on the clothes I have bought. It will take the emphasis off her and hopefully he will co-operate as we need to try items on. It will make moving a lot easier too. I was worried sick as I could not get her on her mobile for hours yesterday and then the landline. I was just about to set off and then she answered - that finally made me decide to offer her to stay at our house. Goodness only knows where she will go as we are very tightly packed (4 adult kids at home too) and she can't do our stairs so probably the Living Room.

I had a dreadful day with my health - I knew I would when I woke up from a nap early. Still just had some custard (food of choice in a crisis) so feeling better. hoping I can get Mum to eat as she has lost loads of weight - she is fading away but no medical reason - psychological. It's almost like she has given up - well not under my watch - She still has a few good years yet!

Busy day today and then the weekend Hubby and youngest are going through the house tipping so much rubbish. My parents have kept everything for 50 years so it is not an easy job. They are true OStylers in the extreme:eek::eek::eek:

Well feeling a bit sleepy and surrounded by snoring dogs.
Old Style hugs x
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over and through me. When it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
When the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Comments

• Moorhen
    Moorhen Posts: 964 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 24 May 2014 at 7:26AM
    Options
    Morning Molly and all who follow,

Molly Hugs for you, hope that having your mum with you makes things easier.

Hilstep Many hugs for you too.

LW Gentle hugs for you. Enjoy your furry visitor.

TTFTM Hugs for you and for your DD.

I hope that I haven't missed anyone out.

Well it is finally half term and a small break from the exams. At work my GCSE pupils have done my exam but my A level pupils still have their exams after half term.
    At home DD1 has done 13 out of her 17 GCSE exams but DS has only had 2 of his A level papers.

DD1 finished school last friday and DS finished school (for ever!) yesterday. He went out last night and is not home yet. He did send me a message to say that he was staying at his girlfriends, I hope that he gets home in time for work!

Have a lovely day everyone.:)
  • tru
    tru Posts: 9,138 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Morning :hello:[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Aren't people strange? Someone asks a question, you answer, someone else has a different opinion to you and holds a grudge against you for evermore :D They think they're letting you know in an oh-so-subtle way while coming across all nice and caring to everyone else, but don't realise everyone can see what they're doing and are laughing at them. Ever feel like you've suddenly landed in the school playground? :rotfl: :rotfl:
    [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I hope everyone has a relaxing weekend, as much as possible anyway xx[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Molly I'm glad things are moving forward a bit for your family but don't forget about you xx[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]LameWolf do you have any pics of Ted? Would love to 'meet' him :D[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]We have a new service station near us, they cook from scratch and source the ingredients locally – how fab is that? Apparantly they also sell fresh produce from local suppliers, so we'll go and have a nosy next week. Never heard of anyone buying their shopping on the M5 before :D[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]It's raining at the moment, hopefully the weather will brighten up a bit today (I'm not holding my breath!), I'm itching to get out into the garden. If not, I've got loads of yarn to keep me busy :D[/FONT]
    Bulletproof
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,084 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Morning everyone. Dry and sunny here! Woken by the birds twittering outside, think we have nests in the eaves.

Today includes a haircut, only a little shopping in town and then I need to fork the back garden grass. Underneath it seems to be a layer of black plastic so the rain can't drain which means I have to get holes in it for this season.

After that it's time for a good read. I must also catch up with news of Glasgow's School of Art, awful news but it seems that it's not as bad as first thought.

Sending a load of good vibes to all those who are struggling, especially with elderly or ill famil or their own ill health.

Happy weekend.
  • Hard_Up_Hester
    Hard_Up_Hester Posts: 4,656 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Morning all
    Hugs Molly, take care of yourself.
    LW, have fun with Ted, the house is quiet here now mad dog has gone home, I went to DD's last night to collect DGD for gym club, mad dog was only a bit pleased to see me, probably worried I was going to kidnap her again.
    Hilly, thinking of you.
    Hugs to anyone else in need.
    It's hissing down here & looks like it could be set in for a while so the washing will be going over the maiden, the fish have been fed, hubby and I have a cuppa & now I'm going back to bed for some intensive Hestering, the housework can wait!
    Have a good day everyone.
    Hugs Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Good morning chums,very damp and drizzly here in Kent ,just as well I don't have to go out today.I caught up with all of my odd jobs yesterday ,even the ironing is done and put away :):)So today I am free to have a day doing what I feel like .At the moment it looks as though it may be a day for some readin,knitting and maybe bake some cookies for my DGC as its half term and they eat like horses.

I may even go mad and declutter my computer/study (a.k.a. small back bedroom :):))of some paperwork that seems to accumulate while I'm not looking .Whatever I do it will be just what I call a 'pottering' day which I have now and again and is very relaxing .
    Have a great day whatever you are doing and if you have some sunshine do get out and enjoy it
    Cheers chums
    JackieO xxx
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Morning all, very wet here overnight with deluge type showers which woke us up every now and then drumming on the roof, lurcher was not impressed and is threatening to leave home if it doesn't stop!

MOLLY a step of progress petal, and well done on persuading Mum to visit Dad today. You must think of YOU as well in all this or you'll be running on empty and not as effective as you can be, it's difficult to stop and not devote every waking second to what feel like insurmountable problems but you really NEED to stop, catch your breath and take just a little time out once in a while, for your own sake and sanity love, don't overdo it, it will still be there to sort out in a couple of hours time. I wish you much patience and tolerance when Mum comes to stay, hope all goes well, Lyn xxx.
  • candlelight_2013
    candlelight_2013 Posts: 2,681 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all,

Weather dreadful again, heavy rain during the night and it has just started again.

Need to pop out for bread and milk and then like Jackie a "pottering" day I think. I have a couple of cupboards which need a clear out, and I already have a bag started for the Hospice shop, so see if I can add to it.

Molly sending hugs and patience to you and am pleased Mum will go to see your Dad. I hope it will be a good visit.

Himself is having difficulty sleeping at night at the moment (not during the day:)), obviously not for the same reason as yourself, perhaps we should hold an all night party.

Hope everyone has a reasonable weekend, but the nasty weather seems to be over most of the country.

Hugs to everyone who would like or needs one.

Candlelightx
  • Julie67
    Julie67 Posts: 2,362 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Morning all,

Molly glad you've exchanged. Moorhen my boy is two exams in as well. It's his and his gf 1 yr anniversary today so they are off to celebrate. I know far too young. But who am I to complain, met my hubby when I was 15 and here we are 30 plus years later:D
    Want to do a quick clean this morning and then once we've dropped people at various places they need to go, we are going to finish the bathroom, towel rail, toilet roll holder etc.
    I fancy bacon this morning. It's a damp day here as well. Hoping for a nice quiet evening tonight. Dh and I fancy a snuggle and a film. Is it too much to ask for the occasional night on your own. Ah hum I guess I would miss them if it was quiet.
    Off for breakfast, have a good Saturday. X
    Started Self Managed DMP 10th May 2017.
    Working hard to get rid of our debt.
  • Time_to_face_the_music
    Options
    Good morning everyone :)

Decorating starts in DD's new house today, so DH is packing car with stepladders, steam cleaner and our Henry hoover!

First coat on, then it's off carpet and blind shopping. Back for another coat on, then it's off looking for cookers and fridgefreezers. My purse will be feeling the pain later.

DD is very bright and happy, GDD also seems to be feeling the effect. She told me yesterday that she does not care if her new room has a carpet, she just loves the colour (bright pink) and looking out of the window at the garden. She also said "I am good at making new friends so I will be fine". I had to look away so she did not see the tears, she is just wonderful and I love her so much, I just want her to be ok and not have the painful years that DD has had.

Molly - hope all goes well today x

LW - I would love to see Ted too x

Well wishes to all sick people and pets and hugs for those that need or just want them. Keep well and safe and have a super day x
    LBM 10/1/12 ~ DFW Start 6/2/12: £82,344 ~ Now Zero
    :staradmin:starmod::staradmin Debt free 17th April 2015 :staradmin:starmod::staradmin
    Eternal thanks to the DMP & Mutual Support (no.439) and Payment a Day Threads
    Mortgage free 3rd July 2014 - Grateful thanks to the 2013/14 MFW threads
    "Debt is normal. Be weird!" Dave Ramsey
    Proud to have dealt with our debt :)
  • snoozer
    snoozer Posts: 3,596 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I didn't post yesterday, we were on the move yesterday to Yorkshire with a stop off for DH to have his appraisal with new, strange boss. Very annoyingly, although he told DH that he was indispensable and said lots of good things he gave a poor grading, the worst DH has had in 28 years with the company. DH is not taking it lying down though and I'm sure the grading will be changed.

Molly, take care of yourself, but hopefully life will be a bit easier now you don't have to travel to see mum.

Moorhen, DS and GF have been together since they were 16, they are now 28.

Visitors are arriving tonight so we'll be shopping and sorting today, it's not raining yet but it's not looking promising.

Have a good day.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport