PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

OlD STYLE DAILY - Friday May 23rd 2014

Options
Molly41
Molly41 Posts: 4,919 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
edited 23 May 2014 at 6:43AM in Old style MoneySaving
Hi, this is the Daily Thread for Friday May the 23rd 2014. This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or slow internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred.

When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Some people who chat here like to try to answer everyone. Don’t feel you have to though, a general “hi everyone, hope everyone’s well” type start does just as well.

Hilly - sending positive, healing thoughts to all of you xx
Hester - hope appraisal went ok

Another worrying session/ rant because i can't sleep again……. (please feel free to ignore)

Mum still quite under the weather - more mentally than physically. She has always had these spells all through my childhood but this is the worst ever. I went over yesterday to make her scrambled egg as the carers don't make it right - they all seem fantastic to me:A. She is having a lot of intense input - nurses, physic and her walking has improved loads - but her mental state is worrying. She doesn't want to have anything to do with my dear old Dad - Im not sure he will come home again and Im devastated. I knew it was too much for her and tried so hard to get them to accept help earlier - but no.

I went to see dad - he is settled but quiet. This is not what he wants really. I have had to order him loads of clothes to try on as their miserly ways have left them lacking in clothes. Mum's priority yesterday was to get her revered fireplace removed to take to her new bungalow, not if or where there were any clean trousers for my dad:mad: She made me cross but I can understand she is not right and feels guilty - heck I feel guilty and cried all the way home from seeing my lovely and kind Dad - he doesn't deserve this:(

Still the home is great - i can't fault them - so caring. I have yet to meet a carer that I have not liked - can't say that for the nurses that looked after mum in hospital though. She came home with a canular in situ - good job I knew how to remove it:eek:

House Move to Bungalow - vibes please for exchange today or Tuesday. Move on Thursday next week I think? Bloomin vendors of the bungalow won't give me permission to get a cleaning firm to go in to clean the day before completion though. I just wanted to make sure that my parents didn't pick up any bugs as it has been un-occupied for ages and an old lady lived there before. They are only after their inheritance and there is much to be done but it is 100 times more safe for both of my parents than their existing house, which has the steepest stairs, and round the corner (as opposed to a 58 mile round trip) so mum won't get so lonely and down and if we get dad home the family can be on hand to help.

OS - scrambled eggs on toast but spent a fortune on clothes for Dad. Had to double up and go up a size as he is wearing pads now and his existing ones look tight. Anyway good old M&S so no trouble returning them if wrong size.

Got to face phoning my witchy (not a KIND witch as is Hester) Aunt who visited Dad yesterday and paid for his hair cut and toe nails - something to hold over me. Dad could not remember her visit though but then he won't remember I visited either so she will probably assume I am ignoring him:mad: That made me cry too - I should have done that for him.

Got to have a quiet day today - was going over to visit and make scrambled egg (I am famed for it) but Hubby said NO and we will be over all weekend getting ready for the move. Oh the fireplace arrived in our garage in one piece - although at one point I wanted to take a mallet to it - given my mother's priorities atm.

Hugs and love for an OS Day xxx
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over and through me. When it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
When the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Comments

• Time_to_face_the_music
    Options
    Good morning Molly and all who follow :)

Molly please rant away, it's very justified and it's cathartic. I know because I do it here and it does work x

In the usual mad dash and still no O/S this week, though a few little ebay and Amazon sales are helping the much depleted coffers. Mad busy weekend starts when work finishes at 3.30pm today.

Well wishes for all sick people and pets and hugs for those that need or just want them. Keep well and safe and have a super day :)
    LBM 10/1/12 ~ DFW Start 6/2/12: £82,344 ~ Now Zero
    :staradmin:starmod::staradmin Debt free 17th April 2015 :staradmin:starmod::staradmin
    Eternal thanks to the DMP & Mutual Support (no.439) and Payment a Day Threads
    Mortgage free 3rd July 2014 - Grateful thanks to the 2013/14 MFW threads
    "Debt is normal. Be weird!" Dave Ramsey
    Proud to have dealt with our debt :)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Morning all,

Molly, you rant away. Looks like neither of us got much sleep last night. Mind you, I wasn't very well yesterday and put myself to bed late afternoon after falling asleep at my desk and didn't get up again till 4 this morning. I staggered downstairs this morning to make myself a drink to find 24 hours worth of washing up waiting to be done and no cups to drink out of. Hubby fed himself last night and 'Youngest' went out on the lash to drown his sorrows. I'm presuming he ate out though I did see the remnants of a half eaten pizza in the bin this morning.

I did the washing up after hubby left for work this morning but I don't think much else is going to get done today. I don't have the energy.

Onwards and forwards (though I'm a bit behind)
    have a great day all.
  • redruby
    redruby Posts: 7,317 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all,

Molly I do feel for you I know exactly what you are going through, the guilt you feel is a completely natural thing and will eventually settle down I don't think it ever goes completely but you will come to see that your dear dad is in the right place where he is cared for and looked after, please PM me at anytime even if you want a chat, either here or FB xx

Slightly overcast ere today off to work for me but I need to drop my car off first for its mot, fingers crossed it passes.

Meatballs for dinner tonight whoever gets in first can start them off. I will do a wash tonight too.

Hillstep hugs to you my lovely xx
  • Hard_Up_Hester
    Hard_Up_Hester Posts: 4,656 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Morning all
    Rant on Molly, it will make you feel better, I know your dad doesn't want to be in a home, but it's probably safer than with your mum, if she doesn't want him with her.
    Healing thought to Hilly.
    LW , I hope things are ok
    Fish fed, breakfast eaten, dog walked, packups made, hubby & I have a cuppa.
    Appraisal went ok, no better, no worse, I'll keep plodding on.
    I have the TFI Friday feeling here & it's half term so a whole week off & hubby has the week off too, time will be spent together & with various grandchildren.
    Have a good day everyone.
    Hugs Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Oh MOLLY love life is so hard sometimes isn't it? Your Dad really is in the safest place at the moment and it's a plus that you feel he's being looked after properly by nice and caring people in the care home. Your Mum sounds to be having a massive guilt moment and that's likely why she won't visit, it will pass love, most things in life do even out given a bit of time and distance. You really have and are doing all you are able to for them both and even if Mum is not outwardly grateful I'm sure she appreciates it all and you most certainly can hold your head up and be sure you've done everything possible to help them. Have yourself an easy day and try to do something nice for YOU today, because you're worth it!!!

Was awake at silly o clock this morning as the wind was roaring in the windows, very wild so I came down and made a nice pot of tea and the hound and I watched the dawn together, then he went back to sleep, apparently Mumi is BORINGGGGG!!! Hillstep and Candlelight , I hope both of you have been able to get some sleep after trying days yesterday, and I so hope that you are feeling more positive in the fight against your health issues today, we're with you all the way and always here to listen and then to cheer when the results are good, stay strong folks, Lyn xxx,
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Molly love you rant away honey get it off your chest we are all here to send you <hugs> and positive vibes.You are doing so well sorting out stuff for your Mum and Dad xxx

Well the sun has come back this morning which is great and I had a nice email from EDF saying that they are lowering my monthly payment by a fiver which is even nicer and also I am getting a rebate next week from overpayment of £156.29p which is even greater That will go into the holiday fund straight away.I must admit EDF have been very good in the past year and certainly pulled up their socks when it comes to customer care So a pat of the back from me to them :):):)
  • candlelight_2013
    candlelight_2013 Posts: 2,681 Forumite
    Options
    Molly sending you hugs, and please let it all out here. Much better than bottling it up, we are your safety valve.

Has been raining most of the night here again and looks fairly dismal this morning. Off to have my hair done shortly thank goodness. I know I am lucky but my hair grows so quickly that I can't go more than 6 weeks otherwise it looses its shape.

Try to have a good weekend everyone

Much love
    Candlelightx
  • tru
    tru Posts: 9,138 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Morning :hello:[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I've just read back over the last few Dailies (well I read them yesterday afternoon), I can't believe so much is going on :sad: You all need cake :bdaycake:[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I had a lazy afternoon yesterday. We had thunder, lightning, rain and hail so I hid in the house :D I finished making a pair of gloves, added a few squares to my two large blankets and started a baby blanket while catching up on Grey's and Grimm.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]We're off to Morrisons this morning, I have my list ready – items are written in the order of the shop layout so I can speed round and get out ASAP :D I'll insist on pushing the trolley, I can use it as a walker and keep the weight off my ankle, lol.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]We were thinking about going out later but the weather's miserable again. Might just potter about the house instead.[/FONT]
    Bulletproof
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    can't believe so much is going on :sad: You all need cake :bdaycake:
    I'll have two pieces.:rotfl:
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,536 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    MOLLY

Just popping in to thank you for being so open about your feelings, we,re heading towards similar with MIL, and it really helps to hear that what we are starting to feel, is normal. I hope that you can take some 'me time' to refresh yourself - thinking of you and yours x
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family