🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Where can I buy the cheapest EVIAN water?

Options
2»

Comments

• JasonLVC
    JasonLVC Posts: 16,762 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The WHO has published reports that indicate those who drink "mineral" water have a lower rate if disease. So science does recognise a difference between tap and bottle.

The minerals that are crucial are Calcium and Magnesium with a sweetspot ph level of 7 which is close to our human blood stream. So the likes of Evian and San Pellegrino have near perfect 7ph and balanced minerals.

In terms of taste, it is the TDS (total dissolved solids) that count, Vittel has a TDS of 403 mg/l, Evian 357mg/l. Badoit has TDS of 1,200 mg/l.

Compared to tap water which has a TDS of between 40-100 mg/l. Sodium also makes a difference, Evian has a low sodium content of 5mg/l whereas Badoit has 150mg/l and Buxton has 25mg/l - this is why you can taste the difference between waters.

Volvic is probably the most balanced/healthiest mineral water out there (steer clear of the flavoured ones, yuk and full of sweetener)
    Anger ruins joy, it steals the goodness of my mind. Forces me to say terrible things. Overcoming anger brings peace of mind, a mind without regret. If I overcome anger, I will be delightful and loved by everyone.
  • totallybored
    totallybored Posts: 1,141 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for the help.

Bottled water does vary. I got some bottled water from Asda not so long ago and was going to use it for filling up the kettle (as we couldn't use the water tap) and my partner gave me some of that instead of Evian and it was very bitter, awful! I used to like Vittel when I was younger but don't like the taste of that anymore. I have tried filtered water but don't like that either.

I don't like alcohol either so maybe I just have "odd" tastebuds lol.

I agree with the Asda water. I'm not too fussy about mineral water but I found it had an odd taste that I really disliked.

I buy the costco own brand in 500ml bottles and that tastes fine. No Idea if it comes in bigger bottles though.

I personal fave is Fiji water but I just think that's because of the pretty bottle.
  • Nada666
    Nada666 Posts: 5,004 Forumite
    Options
    JasonLVC wrote: »
    The WHO has published reports that indicate those who drink "mineral" water have a lower rate if disease. So science does recognise a difference between tap and bottle.
    But only your paragraphs following - not your first sentence.

I admit I do not know the reports but I wager the chances that they weed out all or even any of the conflating, complicating, correlating factors is about zero.
  • JasonLVC
    Options
    Nada666 wrote: »
    But only your paragraphs following - not your first sentence.

I admit I do not know the reports but I wager the chances that they weed out all or even any of the conflating, complicating, correlating factors is about zero.

http://www.who.int/water_sanitation_health/dwq/nutrconsensusrep.pdf

Our bodies do need a mixture of minerals everyday like calcium and zinc, so if you can obtain these from mineral water (or tap water but in lower diluted quantities) then it can only be a good thing.

Indeed, whether bottle or tap, clean water remains one of the best things we can put into our bodies.
    Anger ruins joy, it steals the goodness of my mind. Forces me to say terrible things. Overcoming anger brings peace of mind, a mind without regret. If I overcome anger, I will be delightful and loved by everyone.
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,856 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    JasonLVC wrote: »

Have you never heard the expression correalation does not imply causation?

Not for the first time, the WHO is talking bunk.
  • catwoman73
    catwoman73 Posts: 446 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    OP, I think you are startling bonkers to pay so much for water, but each to their own.

The best way to save on buying evian is probably to check out https://www.mysupermarket.co.uk for offers and stock up when you see it at a good price. I think you can set price alerts etc, so will get notified if there is a good offer.

Otherwise, if you are buying so much of it, would it be worth checking out Costco, Makro, Bookers or any other wholesalers. I think you can have a look in Costco before buying a membership and they often have offers on certain things.
  • JasonLVC
    Options
    A._Badger wrote: »
    Have you never heard the expression correalation does not imply causation?

Oh causation and correlation - I'm there with you on that, in the same way crime statistics suggest we live in a safer world and yet.....

The focus of the report is on the increased use of desalination processes in Countries without sufficient water (ie, UAE/Middle East, etc) and that the water is stripped of its minerals removing some of waters natural contribution to the body's daily intake of minerals and chemicals.

Whether you want to believe WHO is down to you, but at least there is some science behind the report rather than simply stating "bottled water is for mugs", which seems less scientific somehow. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport