🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Pocket money schemes for 12yr olds

Options
Got a 12tr old son....getting in that age of being rebellious and only interested in going out most days.

He goes out to cinema 1per/mth and swimming 1per/mth and a trip to town etc. He says he wants pocket money so he can buy food and drinks when out and pay for trips, tickets etc. He did want at first £15 pw..but I said no way. Then we agree £12pw based on good behavior that did not work well. he also get some pocket money from his granny about £5pm.

I tried past 2 weeks "earn as you help" basis, getting £5 for hovering house; £10 for helping with grass cutting etc., but taking money off for poor behavior. He now complaining this scheme not working.
My friend all have different schemes; one with kid same age only pays her son £5pw and he must help.

I am after ideas that people use to pay pocket money?
thanks

Comments

• balletshoes
    balletshoes Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    Options
    very recent thread here with lots of different takes on this for 12-year olds -

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4963440

why is your agreed £12 a week not working? You both agreed to it, so whats happened that its not working?
  • mum2one
    mum2one Posts: 16,279 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    Options
    My DD is 11, (last yr of primary school) at mo she gets £10 a month from me for spends, and £5 off my parents (but we also put some into bank account shes not aware off)

I know over summer hols were going to sit and have a chat re money as sceondary school - she'll want more money...

At the mo I'm planning on £5 per week basic pocket money then the chance to earn upto £10 (£5 extra me, £5 extra parents), - but that be based on jobs,
    hoovering
    dusting
    cooking meal (even if its beans on toast)
    washing up

I'm thinking of doing as points system so 1 point £1 but some jobs may need to be more than once.

It take a few weeks to get settled, but from my own experience as a child, if I wanted more pocket money than i did jobs, - i'm sure your get the x doesn't do anything but get s £10pw, y has to do jobs but gets £xx per week, and z gets this.

It may be worth sitting down with a basic budget showing him what gets spent and that your not being mean but if you only do £xx then thats it. If he wants the money he will soon do the extra jobs xx
    xx rip dad... we had our ups and downs but we’re always be family xx
  • Viberduo
    Viberduo Posts: 1,148 Forumite
    Options
    So he gets a minimum £17 a week for doing nothing then complains about it.

Instead of giving extra cash TRY and teach him to understand how money works because if I can live off what he gets a week for nothing to cover food and utilities and he just has luxuries then he must be wasting cash.

I assume the problem is like most kids he is just used to getting looked after but wants more, nothing wrong with that unless it gets to a point of "me me me" which it seems like its becoming since he complains that he cant get bonuses due to his own faults!

I think instead of money do something like buy him a little treat for good behaviour or something like go to the cinema with him even if he dislikes that idea as that way he understands he doesnt get rewarded for bad behaviour and that he understands that for one he cant get everything he wants nor does he need it.
  • good_advice
    good_advice Posts: 2,653 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee! Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Pocket money for children is diffrent for every family.
    How many children are in the family?

I found giving each child a small cash amout did not work.

If a outing was organized, I gave them money to cover it. This was not weekly.
    My children went to several clubs after school that we paid for - pluss all the diffrent uniforms. Swimming, brownies, cubs, dancing school and competition fee's.
    School were always after money x3 kids.
    x2 went to a youth club.

I too! tried the money for housework and nothing.They did not want to know.
    The secret to success is making very small, yet constant changes.:)
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,916 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 20 May 2014 at 3:00PM
    Options
    Handouts from other parts of the family undo a lot of what you want to achieve. Plan this with spouse where applicable too.

Be clear there is no money tree - every penny is *earned*.

Agree some things will be paid for (by you direct, eg school trips, club subs etc), and some things are cash in hand (ours got a tenner each for helping fell the old henhouse.)

There may be "overtime" payments, but unless the chores (basic work jobs) are done, overtime is not available. So the laundry, the washing up, the sorting & correctly putting away clean clothes - they are the job. Overtime comes from doing all that & more.

Minding your own kit is not housework. It is a "do it or I'll bin it". There's very little wrong with a clear system that instills a consequence to action, so apart from the shock to his infant system, and a just-so-we're-all-clear chat with the rest of the family, start!

You may want earplugs. Or to know where his off switch is located. You may even need to know exactly where your purse is & how much is in it. (Owch.) If he learns money does not fall like dew, you'll have done him a very real favour.
  • Tiddlywinks
    Tiddlywinks Posts: 5,777 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    mutley74 wrote: »
    Got a 12tr old son....getting in that age of being rebellious and only interested in going out most days.

He goes out to cinema 1per/mth and swimming 1per/mth and a trip to town etc. He says he wants pocket money so he can buy food and drinks when out and pay for trips, tickets etc. He did want at first £15 pw..but I said no way. Then we agree £12pw based on good behavior that did not work well. he also get some pocket money from his granny about £5pm.

I tried past 2 weeks "earn as you help" basis, getting £5 for hovering house; £10 for helping with grass cutting etc., but taking money off for poor behavior. He now complaining this scheme not working.
    My friend all have different schemes; one with kid same age only pays her son £5pw and he must help.

I am after ideas that people use to pay pocket money?
    thanks

Before deciding just to hand over money to appease your son, you need to get back to basics.

The best thing you can do for your son is teach him that money has to be earned...and that poor behaviour won't make payment more likely.

He sounds like he thinks he can throw a strop to get what he wants - you need to get a grip of that attitude and remind him to show a bit of respect and consideration.

If you keep paying him whilst he's acting up then you are rewarding his bad behaviour.

Get him to come up with a 'business plan' - what does he want to offer and for how much... and then haggle.

If he comes up with the plan, then he may be more inclined to make it work.
    :hello:
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,351 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    mutley74 wrote: »

Why does he think the scheme is not working? He isn't getting enough money? Can't earn what he wants by hoovering 5 times in one day? Disagrees about poor behavior?

The minimum wage for under 18s is £3.72. I suggest that this is good the keep in mind when setting rates for jobs if giving a realistic view of life is also part of the aim.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • Carl31
    Carl31 Posts: 2,616 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I put a chart on the wall of jobs to do. 2 per week day over a month

If all the chores are done, they get £20 at the end of the month. If none are done, they get nothing

They get £5 bonuses if we receive 'official' good school reports, like certificates or these 'well done' cards that come through the post

I found the need to earn came more from about year 8 at school, up till then not much really happened.
  • greenorange
    greenorange Posts: 327 Forumite
    Options
    I recommend the book Smart Money Smart Kids by Dave Ramsey. It addresses the exact question you've asked. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport