Redundancy

Options
Hi,

After 18 1/2 years with the same company I am to be made redundant,

I am on what is effectively Garden leave and go on 29th May along with 20% of the UK workforce. I am reasonably sure that it's all being done properly and legally although I have to say I do not feel too well. Part of the package is to have a lawyer of my choice look over it all, they pay the fees - If I sign away some rights to challenge it I will get a little more money.

I will get a package - pretty much the minimum - but it's still a moderate amount after all this time which should last a while.

I had a colleague who went through redundancy a few years ago, to extend his package until he found work which eventually he did - He made cakes and sold them to local pubs. It didnt earn him a fortune but it brought in something. I was very impressed at his motivation.

I am trying to be positive - this would absolutely not replace my job or my salary however I am wondering about starting a small service to provide training in the home for computer users, - I am "mature" of age and this might appeal to some, I have 25 years experience in Software Support and generally get to add printers, remove virus's fix email etc for my friends -

Was thinking about finding a good local firm and if the computers needed repair to a level that I cannot provide passing them on - also the more complex networking issues, - Might take some Antivirus and a few bits and pieces (Good quality only) and sell them if the opportunity arises at a small mark-up.

I am guessing the start-up costs would be advertising, some kind if insurance if I go into people,s homes or if they accuse me of deleting their favourite picture. As said this would in no way cover my salary but might trickle in some funds until I find something better.

I am interested in the views of the forum here, - I have also thought of Heir Hunting or maybe seeing if I could work for an Estate agent showing people around properties until I get back on my feet.

Comments

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    If you have any IT skills you may be better looking at contracting in the first instance, might involve travel if you don't live in an area with demand but the pay will be better and cover the costs.

if you have software support skills then QA roles pay OK daily rates and are less popular. (£200pd+ should be possible for basic testing)

Just to be clear you have been on garden leave already for some weeks as they would have needed to have a consulting period and you have 12 weeks notice with 2 weeks to go, or are they paying PILON on top of the redundancy.

How has the job hunting been going.
  • BMW_Mike
    BMW_Mike Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks,

The situation is that on the 8th May I was called into a meeting along with 10 others individually - we where given a letter stating that our roles where going unless anything else could be found. I made some suggestions but it's a hopeless situation since the company is in trouble and needs to shed staff, A Consultation period would run with a decision point on the 23rd May and a leaving date (If nothing could be found on 29th May) - Last week I had a call - nothing written - but no other opportunities can be found. Not a surprise.

I was then allowed home and can stay there unless called in, I volunteered to cover the help desk from home, minimal work anyway and to leave in good standing. I am in team of 1 - some of the others are in teams of 6 where say 3 are going so they need to work that out. - So I am not techinally redundant right now but will be very soon.

At the moment the package isn't determined but it must be either work 3 months notice - or 3 months paid in lieu - then the statutory redundancy, plus holiday pay and other bits, I did negotiate attendance on an ITIL foundation course that they will pay for. - It's pretty low but I nearly hit the max payout for statutory redundancy.

I have to say I do not feel well - However the job hunt is moving, - I have contacted a number of recruiters, my CV has gone into a few places, Got Linkedin fired up, - I have 800 plus contacts built up over a 4 year period, signed up to several job boards, and have signed on the West Berkshire Career service for those over 50 in my situation which I found helpful, on the minus side haven't got any interviews yet but I hope they will come as the leads mature, been blown out by one company, but it's only really been 10 days or so.

As with most I have mortgage and maintenance payments to my ex to keep up, I view this a huge challenge and will fight as hard as I can, - hopefully something will come up fairly soon and I can breath again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure