Advice with annoying debt ageny

Options
Just to clarify things

I have no idea about this debt and I have never had a bank account with barclays.

The debt was supposed to have been from 1991

I have had no contact about this debt ever until the 6th January 2014

When they 1st phoned me about this debt they wouldn't even tell me when the supposed loan was taken out. They asked for my date of birth which at 1st I did not tell them because they actually phoned me the day before my birthday and I asked them what date of birth did they have they would only tell me the year and they were wrong, so I told them my full date of birth.

The next line I got from them was *sorry we can not say anything more to you because your not the person we are looking for* I asked for a letter of clarification on this they said they would send one to me but didn't receive one.

I thought that was the end of it but once again I get a phone call on the 15th of May but this time they gave me more information about the loan and the the date when it was taken out which I stated above.

Now this has gotten beyond a joke even if I did take a loan and not paid anything on it surely I should have had some kind of letter asking me to pay the loan off but I never have. The thing is I haven't lived at my previous address where the loan was supposed to have been taken out for 20 years or so and I still talk to the people who live there and they have never received any letters from anyone in my name.

I can attached the letters if needed, I just need advice on what to say to these people if they phone again because they're just getting annoying now.

Thank for any help.

Comments

• Bigjazzy
    Bigjazzy Posts: 61 Forumite
    Options
    Do a CCA request. That way they have to provide you a copy of the agreement you have with them.
  • Lensman_2
    Lensman_2 Posts: 1,506 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Bigjazzy wrote: »
    Do a CCA request. That way they have to provide you a copy of the agreement you have with them.
    Sorry, but the CCA request should only be done on a debt that is yours.

Lolejo - do you have anything in writing yet? If not, I would simply tell them that you have never had a Barclays account and you are not the person they are looking for. Please could they remove your details from their records. And then hang up.

Until you get something in writing this is not a threat to you. Just an annoyance. Consider changing your phone number.
  • lojelo
    lojelo Posts: 4 Newbie
    Options
    Thanks Lensman

The only thing I have ever had about this is the letter I received back in January I have had no previous letter regarding this loan at all.

I can't see the point changing my number like you say I will just say you have the wrong person and hang up.

Thank you for your advice.

lojelo
  • Lensman_2
    edited 16 May 2014 at 7:06PM
    Options
    Was the letter you got in January from the same people who are phoning you now?
  • lojelo
    lojelo Posts: 4 Newbie
    Options
    Yes m8 the exact same company the exact same company who said they wont talk to me because I'm not the person who they were looking for probably because the wrong date of birth was given. Also in the letter they took over the debt from another debt agency.
  • Powered_By_Pies
    Options
    They're just fishing and hoping they can try and pin something onto you. Besides which if the 'debt' is from 1991 and you've only just heard about it then it's loooooooong past being statute barred, so no need to worry.

To be fair you can probably just muck about with them if they call you again. You've nothing to worry about so why not have a little fun with them....
  • Lensman_2
    Options
    Two more questions.

Was the letter a demand for payment with an account number and a sum of money?
    What company is this?

I think we need to work out what stage you are at to make sure the advice to keep ignoring is sound.

If they have demanded money and are one of the litigious DCAs then you might want to respond. (In writing).
  • matttye
    matttye Posts: 4,828 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    If they ring again just tell them to write to you, and only deal with them in writing.
    What will your verse be?

R.I.P Robin Williams.
  • poppasmurf_bewdley
    Options
    If they're ringing you and you have a smartphone, then simply block them and you'll never hear another thing from them.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 29,073 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    As mentioned above, it is always a wise move, even if the debt is not yours, to demand they prove you owe the debt, this will stop them obtaining a CCJ by default against you, should they wish to, send them this letter, modified to your particular case :

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2607247

they will then have to prove you owe the debt, see what they come back with, my guess is its just a fishing trip, but if they should come back with some sort of evidence, then your response would be to tell them it is statute barred and that should be the end of the matter.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport