am i right to ask for a refund

Options
i paid £6.70 for an item to be posted. when the item arrived this morning the P+P was only £2.00. it was only a small item wrapped in a small piece of brown paper (it was the size of a deck of cards. so i have emailed for a partial refund of P+P suggesting they knock of 70p for the cost of the small bit of brown paper.
trouble is i now feel guilty for asking as its not normally the thing i do. but the buyer has had nearly £5 profit.
what do you think.

Comments

• Teerah
    Teerah Posts: 1,794 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Personally I think that if the post and packing price (no matter how extortionate) is there for you to see beforehand, and you go ahead and agree to purchase at that price then you dont really have a comeback. I agree its a rip-off though
  • Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think you are pushing your luck. You agreed to the terms and conditions when you bid. The time to ask for a discount was prior to bidding. You might well get a negative or a neutral for this.

The rule is either don't bid if you don't agree with P+P or enquire before hand.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,203 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    i paid £6.70 for an item to be posted. when the item arrived this morning the P+P was only £2.00. it was only a small item wrapped in a small piece of brown paper (it was the size of a deck of cards. so i have emailed for a partial refund of P+P suggesting they knock of 70p for the cost of the small bit of brown paper.
    trouble is i now feel guilty for asking as its not normally the thing i do. but the buyer has had nearly £5 profit.
    what do you think.

Personally I would not have been brave enough to have asked for a refund. The price you paid was clearly shown on the auction and if it seemed too high then you should not have bid. If it is really excessive then it should be reported to ebay as fee avoidance, but more usually it is a marketing ploy.

Inflating the p and p charges is often discussed on this board and it seems some sellers do it just to cover the low starting price of the item itself.

I have been buying some wonderful widgets from the States. The combined price including post and packing is about two thirds of which I would pay for somehting similair in the UK. The last one arrived yesterday, I paid $12 postage and the stamps totalled less than $4 and the packaging was recycled. I am already bidding on more even knowing the overcharge on the p and p.

Soo
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Bargainbabe_2
    Bargainbabe_2 Posts: 1,741 Forumite
    Options
    I don't mind a couple of quid, but when the excess is £5 plus, I think thats taking the P.
    "There are no pockets in a shroud..."
  • VH
    VH Posts: 501 Forumite
    Options
    I agree it's a ripoff but then you don't have much of a case, as you agreed to pay the postage when you bid on and won the auction.
  • nursemolly
    nursemolly Posts: 1,136 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    hi, yeah thats why i feel guilty. but the seller has just refunded me via paypal and left positive feedback too.
    but i will check closer next time before bidding.
    cheers
  • Bargainbabe_2
    Bargainbabe_2 Posts: 1,741 Forumite
    Options
    hi, yeah thats why i feel guilty. but the seller has just refunded me via paypal and left positive feedback too.
    but i will check closer next time before bidding.
    cheers

Wow lucky you! Must be a decent seller...they are getting few and far between these days :rolleyes:
    "There are no pockets in a shroud..."
  • HC_2
    HC_2 Posts: 2,239 Forumite
    Options
    I use eBay quite a bit, and it does irritate me to see sellers taking the mickey with their p&p charges. I quite agree with previous posts that say that you know in advance what this cost will be and so it's no good complaining afterwards.

However, if I'm interested in something that has a suspiciously high p&p cost, I email the seller to innocently ask if they've perhaps made a mistake when they typed it in. Most recently I asked the seller (in a friendly, joky way) if the skirt she was selling was perhaps made of lead. As a result, she halved the p&p and changed it on her listing.

I've had a few successes this way - I think the seller can get a bit embarrassed at being caught out.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,203 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    HC wrote:
    I use eBay quite a bit, and it does irritate me to see sellers taking the mickey with their p&p charges. I quite agree with previous posts that say that you know in advance what this cost will be and so it's no good complaining afterwards.

However, if I'm interested in something that has a suspiciously high p&p cost, I email the seller to innocently ask if they've perhaps made a mistake when they typed it in. Most recently I asked the seller (in a friendly, joky way) if the skirt she was selling was perhaps made of lead. As a result, she halved the p&p and changed it on her listing.

I've had a few successes this way - I think the seller can get a bit embarrassed at being caught out.

That's a really good tip HC. I've done that myself as well it sort of lets the seller know that you know it is OTT.

I got P and P knocked down from £9 to £3 last time I asked!

Soo
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure