Only freedom will do

Options

Comments

• ljaneyr
    ljaneyr Posts: 1,135 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 20 January 2015 at 7:35PM
    Options
    Yes, that's exactly what the maths would suggest. With these things, it's important to remain wary as they are just generalisations. While rules of thumb are useful as indicators and to provoke thought, they won't work for everyone.

For example, a lot of people don't feel comfortable taking the full 4%, I've heard of people only taking 2% (or less!) In my circumstances, I'll never earn enough/cut enough expenses to make that viable, so I expect to have a higher rate to help me bridge the gap between stopping work and pensions.

Based on current models, I'd need to withdraw something like 8% a year for 8 years. I fully expect to kill my ISA before retirement :D

Also, remember that most people don't need a perpetuity, they just need their money to last for a decent length of time until other arrangements kick in. Mrs E and I will have 3+ personal pensions, a tiny Civil Service pension, a hopefully paid off home, ISAs and any passive income we can rustle up (I see no reason why I couldn't do MB or similar until c. 60 years old)...
    gallygirl wrote: »
    Yes, assuming 0 growth, in reality with 4% growth you'd have a pot of over 300k and be able to withdraw over 12.3k :T and leave the rest to keep growing. You can of course take more early on then scale back as other income comes into play but need to be careful to leave enough in to satisfy future years withdrawals.

Thank you so much for all that info! we're probably the same as you Ed in that we don't earn enough to save that much! I'm thinking about saving a smaller amount per year to provide part of our income in the future. We'd be silly to ignore property with OH being a builder and me keeping an eye on the finances. I would love to own a home mortgage free and then have a couple of rental properties. A holiday let in the south of France would be a dream :D

We're too far away at the moment with too many unknown variables to plan properly yet but I want to cover all options. I won't be able to open an S&S ISA until our renovation is done so I've got plenty of time for research :eek::rotfl:

Edit: Just wanted to add that I don't mind spending more than the SWR. I watched my gran spend nearly all her money on care home fees before she died and my dad's care would have eaten all their savings if they hadn't been tied up in the house. I would hope to pass on some form of inheritance to my children before I kick the bucket!
    "It is often said that before you die your life passes before your eyes. It is in fact true. It's called living." Terry Pratchett
    Bought our house 2012 :) Married 2015 :D Started renovating 2015 :eek:
    Renovation fund... what renovation fund? :eek: Emergency fund 40% Future fund... ongoing...
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sometimes I wish I had a rewarding job like KC, the numbers are not speaking to me today.
    Awww :kisses3:
    I started off in export finance :D financing goods shipped from all over the world *to* all over the world, signing letters of credit and buying forward the profit in the currency of origin :cool: you never know what's around the corner :j
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • misscousinitt
    Options
    Hi Ed

Loving the pension information - will be digesting and making some plans.

Hope your week is improving.

MCI
    Mortgage Free x 1 03.11.2012 - House rented out Feb 2016
    Mortgage No 2: £82, 595.61 (31.08.2019)
    OP's to Date £8500

Renovation Fund:£511.39;
    Nectar Points Balance: approx £30 (31.08.2019)
  • Watty1
    Watty1 Posts: 4,978 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    another one loving the pension updates :)
    Made it to mortgage free but what a muddle that became

In the event the proverbial hits the fan then co-habitees are better stashing their cash than being mortgage free !!
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Hope you've had a good hump day Ed :D
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,469 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Pants, but baby scan shows our girl is healthy and lively :)
  • in_need_of_direction
    Options
    Can't ask for anything better than that :)
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st10lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 42.4% through my pb challenge.
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    That makes it a good day in my book. Was she doing a bit of smileys-dancing-354201.gifsmileys-dancing-121746.gifsmileys-dancing-843274.gifsmileys-dancing-173700.gifsmileys-dancing-843274.gif with some :money: thrown in?
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,469 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Definitely the first two GG :coffee:
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Lovely! Yep, thats a good day :)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
This discussion has been closed.