We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Friday Night Easy (Treat) Meal Ideas Please!

2

Comments

  • Anoneemoose
    Anoneemoose Posts: 2,276 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    I was looking at the takeaway secret book and think I will invest. Just wondering though - are the recipes relatively quick and easy? It does kind of suggest that on the description but I wanted to check.

    I know there will be some prep of course!
  • wiltslass
    wiltslass Posts: 189 Forumite
    100 Posts
    Our favourite easy meal is fish, salmon fillets microwaved, a packet of Tilda microwave rice usually lemon, some frozen veg followed by bought fruit salad and cream. Yummy and surprisingly reasonable cost.
  • Callie22
    Callie22 Posts: 3,444 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    For treats I make things like homemade burgers, pizza, wedges, stuff like that. I've also got into the habit of freezing a portion of stuff whenever I make a curry and/or the sides, and on a Friday morning it's just a question of taking a few boxes out of the freezer and there's a 'takeaway' waiting when we get home :) I might also make some homemade chapatis to go with it, they literally take a few minutes.
  • flea72
    flea72 Posts: 5,392 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    I was looking at the takeaway secret book and think I will invest. Just wondering though - are the recipes relatively quick and easy? It does kind of suggest that on the description but I wanted to check.

    I know there will be some prep of course!

    Yes, very simple. Alot of the curries all start from the same base, so make a big batch and freeze it in portions. Then just get some out and add the extra ingredients that make the different styles/flavours

    Again with the mcmuffins. Make more burgers and freeze them. You can freeze them totally assembled, but i find the buns go slightly soggy, still edible, but not like fresh ones
  • Anoneemoose
    Anoneemoose Posts: 2,276 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    flea72 wrote: »
    Yes, very simple. Alot of the curries all start from the same base, so make a big batch and freeze it in portions. Then just get some out and add the extra ingredients that make the different styles/flavours

    Again with the mcmuffins. Make more burgers and freeze them. You can freeze them totally assembled, but i find the buns go slightly soggy, still edible, but not like fresh ones

    Thank you - Just ordered it!
  • Incredibly fattening, but I make 'pizza' with a puff pastry base. I just buy the pastry sheets, top them with whatever I fancy and cook on a mesh sheet.

    I also like a sandwich with whatever is leftover from another meal. We has a roast chicken dinner last night, so a sandwich with chicken, gravy, stuffing and apple sauce is an easy but yummy treat for today.
  • Paulaviki
    Paulaviki Posts: 297 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    If you have leftover chilli in the freezer make burritos. I use two tortillas per person and get a sachet of uncle Ben's Mexican microwave rice. Then add cheese, guacamole, chillies etc. Roll it all up together in foil, it's yum!
  • ravylesley
    ravylesley Posts: 1,105 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    I buy the smartprice cheese and tomato frozen pizzas and garlic bread.The pizza topping is a bit scant but I sprinkle a few extra mixed herbs on top and divide a ball of smart price mozzarella between two bases.Served with a big helping of salad it always goes down well and takes minutes to make
  • trailingspouse
    trailingspouse Posts: 4,046 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    I worked out that a couple of decent steaks with salad and a good red wine was cheaper than our usual Chinese takeaway on a Friday night. We've never looked back.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,899 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Thank you - Just ordered it!

    Just to let you know there are now two books and they are both as good as the other.
    Happy cooking.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.