Thursday 1st May - What small DFW things will you do today?

Options
determined_new_ms
determined_new_ms Posts: 7,825 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
edited 1 May 2014 at 8:01AM in Debt-free wannabe
When we start out on the Debt-Free Wannabe trail we do loads of big "stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the Gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free...

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending. :money:

Morning! Wow can you believe it's Thursday already??!:T Busy day again today so sure it'll be home time before I know it!

Things for today:

* checked banking & cc statement
* change dds - must do this today!
* emailed db and asked him if he'll lay some turf for us. Quote I have had is for £1500 :eek: so need to see if we can do some of it ourselves...
* all meals from stores
* LO chicken from roast - running low on supplies, no pasta or rice, a few potatoes - should be interesting!
* check oil & water - did tyre pressure yesterday
* work hard, really must get through 3 things before meeting after lunch
* hang up washing
* remind oh to email KLM re refund
* water seedlings & plant out strawberrys

Yesterday I spent some time investigating why the dyson has lost suction. Think we need a pre-motor filter. Researched and ordered one for £4. If it solves the problem the dyson cost us £29 :D (it is an older model)

Ok see you all later x
DF as at 30/12/16
Womblng 2020:
NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2

Comments

• ziggy2407
    ziggy2407 Posts: 4,078 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Good Morning All

DNMS - Thanks for starting us off

Hi to all of the regulars and a BIG welcome to all the newbies, this is a really FAB thread with so many lovely, caring, considerate and supportive people.

A quiet day for me today, weather is pretty grim here , so today's little list:

Check Banks - Done
    Check swapits - Done
    Packed lunch for DH & DS - Done
    Meals from cupboards/freezer -
    Bake -
    Catch up on emails (& unsubscribe from any no longer wanted) - Will be a WIP for a while as have so many coming through every day so am going to make it a regular job
    Look at surveys in inbox -
    Sort one craft drawer -
    Set up sewing machine -
    Plan new pictures -
    Few comps -
    Read library book (Gone Girl) - In progress
    Check www.freepostcodelottery.com -
    Update here -

Have a great day, love you all xx

C xx
    Goodreads 2024 Challenge: 32/80
    Goodreads 2023 Challenge: 77/52

• ShootForTheMoon
    Options
    Morning Debt Busters!!

Well, had an eventful day yesterday when a lovely bus driver decided to scrape his big purple bus along the side of my shiny black sports car..... NOT HAPPY!! When I eventually calmed down and rang their insurer they were most apologetic and my car should be booked in today for repair... A pain nonetheless and I refuse to be out of pocket for something I had no fault in!!

Anyway, hoping for a more positive day today...

:) Checked banking - all DD's have gone out fine

:) FPL and Adpoints - still finding videos to catch up on!

:) Today will be a NSD

:) Take last nights leftovers to work for lunch

:) Work 1pm-10pm with the possibility of some OT if a job happens

:) Tidy round house

:) Call car repairers and arrange courtesy car

Think that's about it for now... Hope everyone is keeping well

Love, Shoot x
    :T DEBT FREE AS OF APRIL 2013! :T
    "I am the master of my fate. I am the captain of my soul"
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,186 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Morning Money savers,
    Weather forecast for today said total p*ssdown, so planned a day of indoor activity.....needless to say not a single droplet of rain has yet fallen. Typical!!
    Today's small things:
    *Make carrot & garlic chutney with all the ingredients we prepped yesterday. In progress.....it's currently bubbling away on the hob, probably stinking out the entire street!
    *Quick audit of freezer contents.
    *Make a Swiss roll. Have got some nice home made plum jam to go in the middle & all ingredients from stores - this will avert a crisps & chocolate run later on.
    *Mr f is busy trying to mend our printer. Don't want to have to buy a new one at the moment.
    *Knit more of current gift for present box. Glad B-i-L likes bright socks, as should think think this pair will be visible from space!
    *Made quarter-pounders from the bulk buy of cheap minced steak I bought last month.
    *Pull spring onions for tonight's salad.
    *Check veggies for pests/problems.
    *Measure bathroom window for tomorrow's trip to well-known Swedish purveyor of household wares. Also check Household Piggy to see what funds are available.
    That'll do for now,
    SFTM - What a nuisance about your car. At least you weren't hurt & can hopefully get it all sorted on Mr Bus Company's insurance.
    F x
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • ShootForTheMoon
    Options
    I don't mind the damage so much, it was the arrogant (insert expletive)'s attitude that it wasn't his fault - despite my handbrake being applied and stationary in a marked bay - he tried to intimidate me into not taking his details and got quite aggressive until a subtle flash of my warrant card to "find" my driving licence... Funny enough his attitude soon changed and it was all his fault and he was very sorry........ Complete BLEEEP!!
    Needless to say I've let the bus company know and used some contacts to copy the CCTV of the whole thing! At least they're footing the bill and providing a courtesy car! As you say Foxgloves, at least no one was hurt!! X
    :T DEBT FREE AS OF APRIL 2013! :T
    "I am the master of my fate. I am the captain of my soul"
  • solvencyseeker
    Options
    Hello all,

Lunch break and internet is working!

Have made packed lunches for all today and am planning a big cook off later as still have veggies that need using up from last week (soup!). Also have a pack of mince that OH bought yesterday that looks a strange colour - will open tonight to check it's OK to cook.

Think I might make a cake too - or some flapjack.

Have checked bank accounts, all OK.

Colleague has started a bring and swap library at work. Great idea and saves me having to go into town to the local library where there are other temptations.

Think I need to do a freezer audit (know for a fact there is some frozen liver in there somewhere, has been for least one year.....I'm not even sure it's freezable?) and plan our meals for the month.

Need to go and microwave my soup now (it's still a bit icy).

Have a good DFW day!
  • headoutthesand
    headoutthesand Posts: 1,041 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Evening all

Today I.:

Checked banks
    Made PAD
    Checked phone balance - still within allowance
    No unnecessary spending - everything within budget
    Worked extra hours to build up toil
    Filled in daily spending diary
    Dinner from stores
    Made lunch for tomorrow to avoid buying anything

I think that's me for today x
    Official DFW nerd no 551 - proud to be dealing with my debts
    Debts as of March 2014
    Nationwide - £5745, Overdraft - £350,
    Debts as of January 2015
    Nationwide - £4997, Overdraft - £0:j
  • princess_pea
    princess_pea Posts: 349 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hi everyone,

It's very nearly Friday (and a bank holiday weekend :j)

- LSD today - £1 bus fare home from work as OH had car and I didn't fancy getting soaked on a half hour walk home - I would usually walk and get some exercise. Then redeemed nectar points for milk and dog chews, so only ended up spending 8p!

- Surveys done

- Updated MSE signature - love to see the debt going down!

- Checked bank, all DDs have gone out ok. Reduced overdraft by £50

- Worked blooming hard today at work

- Didn't do anything on the dreaded dissertation, but will be locking myself away for most of the bank hol to crack on with it

- Voucher arrived from online surveys so I can finally buy a new mascara (and maybe a little hair masque or something :T)

Just off to have a little bath, finish my book then it's off to bed, night!
    DFD 7/3/2016
    Mortgage Free January 2048 June 2032
    Long-Term Savings Pot £8750
    DS welcomed 12/2/20 <3
  • PenguinJim
    PenguinJim Posts: 844 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm a day late, but my AA batteries need recharging. I've brought the charger and cells to work to charge them using company electricity. :D

Another tip: shower with a bucket at your feet. Use the bucket water for a free toilet flush!
    Q: What kind of discussions aren't allowed?
    A: It goes without saying that this site's about MoneySaving.

Q: Why are some Board Guides sometimes unpleasant?
    A: We very much hope this isn't the case. But if it is, please make sure you report this, as you would any other forum user's posts, to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure