filling out insurance quote is the sea classed as watercourse ?

kennyjosiah
kennyjosiah Posts: 199 Forumite
edited 30 April 2014 at 10:09PM in Insurance & life assurance
Filling out my latest contents insurance quote we live near the sea

looking on google and using the distance guide we look like we are within 200metres, if, it was a flat run direct from the sea straight to our house, but our houses are high up a hill so hard to judge, if it was flat it would be within 200metres but not sure if going up the hill what the distance is ... also the insurance says withing 400metres of a watercourse and they say eg, brook, river, stream ... no mention of the sea is it classed as a watercourse ?? :undecided

Comments

• huckster
    huckster Posts: 4,787
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Yes it would.

I suspect that most Insurers would pick up from the full postcode, where your house is situated. If there was a serious flood risk, they would probably not quote.

Suggest that you phone the Insurers concerned, so they can underwrite it properly.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
  • nobbysn*ts
    nobbysn*ts Posts: 1,176
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    huckster wrote: »
    Yes it would.

I suspect that most Insurers would pick up from the full postcode, where your house is situated. If there was a serious flood risk, they would probably not quote.

Suggest that you phone the Insurers concerned, so they can underwrite it properly.

Do you have a reference for that? A watercourse is the route water flows through, such as a stream or river. Or an estuary, in which water flows out to the sea. But not the sea itself, as that's not flowing water. Tidal, yes, not flowing.
  • *Scarlett
    *Scarlett Posts: 1,760 Forumite
    Are you doing this on comparison sites?

Many insurers are less concerned about proximity to water than previous flood history. If your postcode is a high risk then they will usually just not quote.

If you are doing a q directly through the insurer and they want to know that you are 400m away from a body of water (and even if they have not mentioned it I think the sea could be classed as this!) then you should ring them. If you are situated at a higher level they may be able to offer cover with normal terms.

If you are getting q's throuh the comparison sites you really need to go through to the actual insurer to find out their terms.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure