IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Right to appeal has expired

Options
I have spent all day reading through other threads and newbies threads and I am still unsure of what to do. Can someone please advise me?
My daughter got a parking charge notice at her university in Leeds from Total Parking Solutions, she'd left her car without a ticket to go get change from a cash machine! She ignored this fine and subsequently received a NTK charge notice. Again, ignored this and today she has received a final reminder with legal action pending. They say her right to appeal has now expired. What should her next step be? Thank you very much :)

Comments

• Stroma
    Stroma Posts: 7,971 Forumite
    Uniform Washer
    Options
    To appeal anyway unless the vehicle is registered in Scotland or NI . TPS are pretty toothless as they don't do court, despite what they say in their threatograms.
    When posting a parking issue on MSE do not reveal any information that may enable PPCs to identify you. They DO monitor the forum.
    We don't need the following to help you.
    Name, Address, PCN Number, Exact Date Of Incident, Date On Invoice, Reg Number, Vehicle Picture, The Time You Entered & Left Car Park, Or The Amount of Time You Overstayed.
    :beer: Anti Enforcement Hobbyist Member :beer:
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    its an invoice, not a fine (its a parking charge notice)

the right to appeal may have expired, but that doesnt mean she cannot appeal , her right to a popla code may have expired too, but the PPC could still issue a popla code if they were minded to

as for debt collectors, they cannot do anything, check the info in the NEWBIES sticky thread for details
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I have spent all day reading through other threads and newbies threads and I am still unsure of what to do. Can someone please advise me?
    My daughter got a parking charge notice at her university in Leeds from Total Parking Solutions, she'd left her car without a ticket to go get change from a cash machine! She ignored this fine and subsequently received a NTK charge notice. Again, ignored this and today she has received a final reminder with legal action pending. They say her right to appeal has now expired. What should her next step be? Thank you very much :)

Welcome - the NEWBIES thread at the top of the forum that you may have overlooked, covers your options for this in the paragraphs 'you think you are too late to appeal?'. She SHOULD have appealed to the NTK so now you'll get loads of debt collector threatograms (the same ones we all ignored for years, before POPLA existed). She missed a trick, never mind, next time tell her to come here & use the template appeal earlier. This time, you can use it of course but don't expect a POPLA code!
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • sophiecapri
    Options
    so are we best to appeal even though the chance of getting a popla code is slim, and then wait to receive the debt collectors letters, which we should then ignore? Many thanks.
  • spacey2012
    spacey2012 Posts: 5,836 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    As you chose to Ignore and they say no appeal, I would continue.
    The PPC that do go to court are getting spanked in court where defended correctly and you get £90 for going when they lose.
    Not a bad days wage.
    Be happy...;)
  • ColliesCarer
    ColliesCarer Posts: 1,593 Forumite
    Options
    You can try to send the appeal to see if they will accept it

Check out the 1st appeal template letter in the NEWBIES thread (linked below) and get your daughter to send it to TPS.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4816822

Or continue to ignore as Spacey2012 has said
  • sophiecapri
    Options
    What is the chance of her being taken to court?
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Less if you appeal. Before court they are supposed (don't laugh at the back) to exhaust reasonable avenues to resolve the dispute.

If they refuse a POPLA appeal it makes them look unreasonable. Several judges have ordered PPC's to issue POPLA codes.
  • Stroma
    Stroma Posts: 7,971 Forumite
    Uniform Washer
    Options
    What is the chance of her being taken to court?

Virtually none
    https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/small_claims_from_bpa_aos_member_3#outgoing-351982
    When posting a parking issue on MSE do not reveal any information that may enable PPCs to identify you. They DO monitor the forum.
    We don't need the following to help you.
    Name, Address, PCN Number, Exact Date Of Incident, Date On Invoice, Reg Number, Vehicle Picture, The Time You Entered & Left Car Park, Or The Amount of Time You Overstayed.
    :beer: Anti Enforcement Hobbyist Member :beer:
  • sophiecapri
    sophiecapri Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Ive sent off an appeal and asked the landowner (university) if they could do anything to help. They (uni) have agreed to ask for the charge notice to be cancelled. Lets see what happens now. Thanks for all the help so far.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure