perfect job, too many hours wwyd?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Marriage, Relationships & Families
63 replies 6.4K views
pukkamumpukkamum Forumite
3.9K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Marriage, Relationships & Families
A job has come up at my daughters school that would be absolutely perfect for me, it's a hard to come by TA3 job.
I have always said that a job there would be ideal, my son attended, my daughter is there now and my youngest daughter will go there 2015.
Here lies the thing, it is full days every day and I have always been of the view that full time work and a family don't go hand in hand, certainly not for us though I know many do it.
My husband works shifts and my youngest is still at home though she does her free hours at nursery.
I am so very very tempted though, we are going through the process of buying our house, which although easily doable on my husbands wage, an extra wage would make a huge difference to our lives but only in terms of paying for luxuries and extras.
Obviously there is no guarantee of getting the job but I think I would be in with a good chance given my history with the school.
I'm just so unsure.
I don't get nearly enough credit for not being a violent psychopath.

Replies

• Is it full school hours or full 9-5 type hours?

If it's a school hours job and you have a good chance I'd apply thinking long-term. Term time jobs make an amazing difference and take away the worries of childcare etc. They also impact less on family time as you are only out pretty much when the children are giving you weekends and holidays.

Just make sure you find out the actual hours involved. I switched jobs a few years ago from one school-hours-term-time-only job to another, but the second job actually turned out to be a role that had tonnes of extra hours needed (and expected). My school hours job gave me money for extras, gave me the chance to work without having any negative impact on our family life and gave me the experience which has now lead to me starting university later this year and will lead to more roles (I hope) in the future.
  • go_catgo_cat Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    You have nothing to lose by going for it, plus you have said what a difference the money will make.

Myself and my DH both work full time and it can work with children you just have to be organised and ensure you put time aside for family time
  • ThreebabesThreebabes Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I would go for it.

You will get all school hols off?
  • pukkamumpukkamum Forumite
    3.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    As far as I am aware it is school hours only so not full time in the 9 to 5 sense of the word.
    I think my biggest issues are going back before my youngest starts school, something I haven't done with the other 2 and never wanted to and that when my husband does the late shift I would not see him all week, I realise they are quite petty reasons but they are quite big in my world.
    I also feel that I will deserting my best friend just when she'll need me the most, she is pregnant with her 4th and has a severly disabled child so I help out and support her quite a lot, something I won't be able to do if working every day.
    I suppose I have to ask myself whether money for extras is worth the relationship sacrifice, time at home with my last child, time with pukkadad and supporting a friend.
    Do they seem like feasible worries?
    Not sure if I am talking myself out of it through fear!
    I don't get nearly enough credit for not being a violent psychopath.
  • tillyennatillyenna Forumite
    276 Posts
    You could always apply, and then turn it down if they offer it to you - gives you longer to decide!
    Officially saved enough to cover the cost of our wedding! :A
  • InsideInsuranceInsideInsurance Forumite
    22.5K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem seems to go away next year when the kid starts school anyway?

At the end of the day, go for the job, if you get offered it then you can make the decision. If you dont get it then there is no decision to make
  • tom9980tom9980 Forumite
    2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've helped Parliament
    ✭✭✭
    pukkamum wrote: »
    As far as I am aware it is school hours only so not full time in the 9 to 5 sense of the word.
    I think my biggest issues are going back before my youngest starts school, something I haven't done with the other 2 and never wanted to and that when my husband does the late shift I would not see him all week, I realise they are quite petty reasons but they are quite big in my world.
    I also feel that I will deserting my best friend just when she'll need me the most, she is pregnant with her 4th and has a severly disabled child so I help out and support her quite a lot, something I won't be able to do if working every day.
    I suppose I have to ask myself whether money for extras is worth the relationship sacrifice, time at home with my last child, time with pukkadad and supporting a friend.
    Do they seem like feasible worries?
    Not sure if I am talking myself out of it through fear!

You would be great at the job though! 9-3 isn't that bad indeed given your kids go/will go to the school it fits nicely around working hours. At some point you may well need to work again here is probably your best chance to secure a job that will tick so many childcare boxes!

As for your friend they will understand you have a life and maybe you still can help just not in the same way as before, she has got pregnant again so must believe she can cope with the disabled child with or without your help.
    When using the housing forum please use the sticky threads for valuable information.
  • This chance may not come again then when you need to get a job you end up getting something you aren't happy with. IMO apply for it and see where it leads
    Have a Bsc Hons open degree from the Open University 2015 :j:D:eek::T
  • GingernuttyGingernutty Forumite
    3.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Try to find someone who can apply with you as a job share.

You could cover for one another should the need arise rather than leave them a member of staff short.

Here's me thinking everyone was working part time these days for just such a reason.
    :huh: Don't know what I'm doing, but doing it anyway... :huh:
  • tea_lovertea_lover Forumite
    8.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Does your littlest LO start school in September? There's only a term left of this year anyway, and realistically they wouldn't be expecting people to start till after half term. So you'd only be looking at a few weeks before the summer holidays.

You may as well apply. If nothing else it gives you longer to make a decision.

ETA: sorry, just re-read and see that she starts school in 2015. Even so, it's only about 39 weeks. Seems like too good an opportunity to pass up.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides

Cinema MoneySaving tips & tricks

Including year's 2for1 movies for £1

MSE Deals