Rough cost of removing bath and installing shower

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could give me a rough idea of the cost of removing a bath and installing a large shower in its place. I will supply the shower, enclosure, tray and any tiles needed, so it would just be for labour.

I'm based in London.

I will of course get plenty of quotes if I decide to go ahead, but would like to know whether it's way out of my price range before I get anyone to come and quote.

I've included some pictures in the link below, which show the current over bath shower. This would all be removed, and replaced with a shower enclosure like in the last picture. I'm not changing any of the rest of the room, the toilet, sink and cupboards will all stay exactly the same. I've also included a link to the type of shower that I would like putting in, as it's quite complicated, and I'm guessing this might increase the price.

Album with pictures: http://imgur.com/a/hDGoF
Link to shower I would like: http://www.victorianplumbing.co.uk/milan-square-triple-shower-valve-with-diverter-fixed-head-6-body-jets-slider.aspx

If anyone could give me a rough idea of the sort of price range, I would be very grateful!
Mortgage received 21/12/2018
Mortgage at start - £261,980
Current mortgage - £260,276
Saving towards a loft conversion first, then to smash the mortgage down!

Comments

• cattie
    cattie Posts: 8,841 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    You are going to need to get the quotes as nobody here will have any real idea. There are various skills/trades required here, such as plumbing, electrics, tiling etc. Some people might be able to cope with everything alone, others might have to need to call on somebody else for things they can't manage.

Also, some people might want to give you a job rate, others a day rate. When I had my recent bathroom refit, pretty much the same as what you're having done, it was done on a day rate by somebody who was also doing lots of other refurbishment work on my home.

When he was finished on my place, a neighbour had him do her bathroom, removing bath & installing a shower + tiling & I think it was a 4 day job all in.

The guy I use is pretty cheap for London, I have to say, but would imagine around £250 day would be the average price for a multi trader working alone who works on day rate rather than job rate.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • buzzyzoe
    buzzyzoe Posts: 477 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Thanks, that's helpful.

So it looks like it will probably be around £1000 as a very rough guide, which sounds ok.
  • trailingspouse
    trailingspouse Posts: 4,035 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Wow, our plumber charges £130 per day plus parts at cost.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • andyhop
    andyhop Posts: 1,996 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Budget £200-£300 a day for a plumber

£130 for a self employed plumber ???are you kidding me on. I could work for a company , have 4 weeks paid holiday, 8-4:30 job and be on a better wage than that!!
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure
  • wr1ght
    wr1ght Posts: 407 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    just had my bathroom finished today and i had bath removed shower enclosure installed, had to be re piped and waste also as shower was moved to a different wall, new sink and toilet and wall cupboard fitted labour charge was £870 for plumber and £500 for tiler
  • wr1ght
    wr1ght Posts: 407 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    i got a simpsons shower enclosure and tray from victorian plumbing the quality is outstanding, but make sure you get your order before booking your plumber we had quite a headache getting ours in time

http://www.victorianplumbing.co.uk/simpsons-elite-quadrant-single-door-shower-enclosure-900mm-lqssc0900.aspx

http://www.victorianplumbing.co.uk/simpsons-quadrant-low-profile-stone-resin-shower-tray-waste-900-x-900-x-25mm.aspx
  • buzzyzoe
    buzzyzoe Posts: 477 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Thanks, that's really helpful!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure