sewing help needed,please.

I have to cut holes in my sons vests so i can have easy access to his feeding button.I have tried cutting the circle and just hemming under but the cotton got eaten by the machine:o
I have checked online but cant find any instructions or anything to give me some idea of how to do this :(
I have bias binding but cant work out how to sew this round a circle.
Thanks in advance to any help anyone can give.

Comments

• likelyfran
    likelyfran Posts: 1,818 Forumite
    Best bet is to Google under different word combos for what you want to do and then click on the 'videos option' - then you'll get an explanation and helpful visuals too.
    *Look for advice, not 'advise'*
    *Could/should/would HAVE please!*

:starmod:
    “It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.” ~ Krishnamurti. :starmod:
    :dance:
  • tillyenna
    tillyenna Posts: 276 Forumite
    Does your machine have a buttonhole option? If so it might be easier to sew a buttonhole. Alternatively if it doesn't, sew a circle the size you want in a really tight zigzag stitch (either if you can adjust how close together the zigzags go, do that, or sew around it several times) and THEN cut out, which should work like a buttonhole, and therefore not fray.
    Officially saved enough to cover the cost of our wedding! :A
  • likelyfran
    I think I know what you mean - is it because there's not much material to play with and you're sewing close to the needle? The edge of the fabric just falls into the gap underneath and gets munched up.
    Not sure if this is any help?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXR53Kosahg

“It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.” ~ Krishnamurti. :starmod:
  • tronlegacy
    tronlegacy Posts: 337 Forumite
    Thanks for quick replies.
    Tillyena my automatic buttonhole doesn't seem to work so will try zigzagging the circle first :-) thanks
    Likelyfran the video was useful,I will try stabilizer and see if that works.
    Have a very long day ahead,I think :-) .lol
  • glynisrose
    glynisrose Posts: 199 Forumite
    Also try using a bit of tissue paper or tracing paper underneath sometimes this works....
  • likelyfran
    I'm still trying to get over my fear of my sewing machine - all good tips for me too.

• tootallulah
    tootallulah Posts: 2,197 Forumite
    You could iron on some interfacing on the outside (too rough on baby's skin on the inside) and then overcast round that. It wont be pretty but it will work.
  • tronlegacy
    tronlegacy Posts: 337 Forumite
    I decided to hand sew and still have not got it right yet :(
    He will have grown out of the vests by the time i work it out.lol
  • flea72
    flea72 Posts: 5,392
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I would just apply some iron-on interfacing, then cut a hole. The edges should then be sealed and not fray
  • flea72
    flea72 Posts: 5,392
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Just googled tummy tunnels. They are basically iron on patches, that have a cutout in the middle. Slightly prettier than plain interfacing
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure