returning faulty item which was free postage

Options
Hi all,

Recently bought a fab retro dab radio from a guy on eBay, worked perfectly for a few weeks then gave up the ghost. After some troubleshooting with the helpful seller he has agreed to take the item back.

When I won the auction it was free postage, however I've just paid £13 to send it back. Should I try to get him to pay for this, split it with him, or just suck it up.

Thanks!
Mortgage Free by 40 Challenge - #20
Current balance - £112,500
Current term left - 30 years

Comments

• ballisticbrian
    Options
    Firstly, the answers you get will depend on whether it was a business seller or a private seller.

Secondly, why on earth did you spend 13 quid sending back an item which was already broken? Hermes at £2.80 would have done it, but now you want the seller to pay that?
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
  • lewdawg
    lewdawg Posts: 26 Forumite
    Options
    1 - Yep, it was a business seller.

2 - I wanted to leave no doubt he would receive the item. He's been decent thus far but these things can drag out and I'd like to know exactly when he's in posession of it again.
  • usefulmale
    usefulmale Posts: 2,627 Forumite
    Options
    £13 is excessive. The seller would probably only refund however much it cost them to send.
  • lewdawg
    Options
    Yea, you're completely right £13 is excessive. My main concern was him getting the item back to get the initial cost refunded, hence the higher price.

I've not asked him anything about refunding postage costs by the way, just interested to hear people's thoughts.
  • ballisticbrian
    ballisticbrian Posts: 3,937 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Before you even get into distance selling regulations, I think common sense would dictate: a. keep those costs as low as possible, b. have a quick look on the packaging to see how they got it to you.
    Some people may chirp in that you are covered for return costs under distance selling regulations and this is covered under numerous threads on this site.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
  • lewdawg
    Options
    Cheers all!
  • RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    lewdawg wrote: »

I've not asked him anything about refunding postage costs by the way, just interested to hear people's thoughts.
    You should have asked him to have it collected or furnish postage before you returned. If you ask and he turns you down there's not much you can (sensibly) do about it, irrespective of the law.
  • lewdawg
    Options
    RFW wrote: »
    You should have asked him to have it collected or furnish postage before you returned. If you ask and he turns you down there's not much you can (sensibly) do about it, irrespective of the law.

I wasn't expecting it to cost £13. I think my biggest mistake was asking my other half to post it.
  • ballisticbrian
    ballisticbrian Posts: 3,937 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    What would we do without 'em?
  • lewdawg
    Options
    We'd have no one to wrongly blame I suppose. (Not in front of them of course)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills