Nothing on Gift Card

Options
I bought a £20 Gift Voucher for Top Man from Morrisons supermarket on 2nd December 2013. I paid for it with my Visa Debit Card along with a few other items. The total has shown up on my bank statement. My grandson tried to use the gift card at Top Man, Trafford Centre, Manchester last week and they told him there was no money on it!! :( I have contacted Morrisons who say they cannot do anything without the receipt. :mad: Who the hell keeps receipts from almost 5 months ago? What can I do about this? How do I get my money back? I have got the gift card back from my grandson. Please someone suggest something!!!

Comments

• tasticz
    tasticz Posts: 764 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Take in your bank statement as proof of purchase
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Has grandson maybe used the £20 and forgotten, then tried to use it again.

Most people I would hope would keep receipts at least until the card has been used.

Bank statement will show proof though, not sure how how you can prove it hasnt been used though
  • iclayt
    iclayt Posts: 454 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The problem is gift cards are like cash, you can't get your money 'back', you bought a small card worth a promise of £20 to spend in Top Man, and the receipt should have been given over with the card. Morrisons may honour it if you provide your bank statement but it doesn't necessarily prove you bought a gift card, just that you spent £20+ back in December. I would be hacked off too, but quite rightly unless you can prove you bought it from them I'm not sure what you expect them to do. I'd keep my tone polite and reasonable in any emails and phone calls, as opposed to outraged and horrified like so many other people firing off emails of complaint, and hopefully they might offer you another as goodwill.
  • rustyboy21
    rustyboy21 Posts: 2,565 Forumite
    Options
    I often use M&S vouchers as a customer incentive in my business. I was told when I did start them and have done since, that the only way you can guarantee that there is money on the card is by having the receipt to prove it. I tape the receipt for each card onto the card itself. M&S print off individual receipts quoting the card no for the card it applies to. I have never had an issue come back to me.

As far as Morrisons know, you picked the card up off the stand, put it in your pocket and didn't get it charged up. Unless you can prove what day, what time and how much it was paid on it and possibly which checkout you went through, I don't think you have a cat in hells chance of getting it.

It amazes me that people take these type of cards on face value, without keeping any proof they bought them.
  • jennieflea
    Options
    Thanks to tasticz for your advice about bank statement....unfortunately although it is on my bank statement it just says WM Morrisons £29.49 as I bought other stuff with it, not itemised. ;)
    Thanks to photome, but my grandson has not used it before and forgotten :D
    Rustyboy21, not all of us are as savvie as you, taping receipt to card is something I just did not think about at the time. Have bought other gift cards from Morrisons with no problem. As for keeping receipt, it was bought in December and its now almost May......I honestly believed my grandson had used the card by now.......we are not all perfect like others :mad:
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    jennieflea wrote: »
    Thanks to tasticz for your advice about bank statement....unfortunately although it is on my bank statement it just says WM Morrisons £29.49 as I bought other stuff with it, not itemised. ;)
    Thanks to photome, but my grandson has not used it before and forgotten :D
    Rustyboy21, not all of us are as savvie as you, taping receipt to card is something I just did not think about at the time. Have bought other gift cards from Morrisons with no problem. As for keeping receipt, it was bought in December and its now almost May......I honestly believed my grandson had used the card by now.......we are not all perfect like others :mad:

As i said before maybe he had used it.

I only say that because I am not perfect (not quite) and I have done exactly that, then tried to use it again a few months later :o
  • rustyboy21
    rustyboy21 Posts: 2,565 Forumite
    edited 30 April 2014 at 6:32PM
    Options
    jennieflea wrote: »

It's common sense that you are buying a piece of plastic, which has to go through a scanner on a till and the operator has to put the amount requested onto it ! It is wide open to Human error, it is also wide open to Fraud ! They must get people coming to the tills with stolen gift cards on a daily basis, people thinking that they are already preloaded, easy enough to stick into a pocket.

All I am saying, is that if you are going to buy this type of thing, then the onus is on you, not them, to prove you have actually bought it, if something is wrong with it, otherwise it is just a piece of pretty coloured plastic. They must lose loads each day, kids picking them up and walking off etc.

Have you tried appealing to them? I said in my other post, you give them the date, approx. time and the items you bought and they may be able to find it for you. It will have the card number on their system, so you can prove it was paid for. It is for you to give as much info as possible, so they don't have to trawl through months of transactions to try and help you. Speak to your card provider, they may be able to give you the date, time, transaction code etc to give to the Supermarket, it may also give you the terminal no, so they know who was on that day and which till it was.

Coming on here having a moan isn't getting you anywhere.
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Have you asked Topman to see if they can tell you when/where it was used (if it has been). I know some retailers can find out this information from the electronic gift cards using the serial number.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure