Halifax Credit Rating

Hi all,

Looking for some advice/help/experiences from anyone. I recently went to Halifax with my husband for a loan top up, original loan amount was £9000 in 2012, its now £6,500 and we were looking to by a new car (loan is in my name as I got the best interest rate). Going through the process and everything seemed fine until she told me I was rated at 4F!!!! I was shocked and the application was declined (obviously).

I have had loans in the past and paid them off, car finance, paid it off, credit card, paid it off the loan is the only debt I have right now.
Even the loan advisor couldnt understand it. I have signed up to get experian credit rating just to check and it showed nothing in my maiden name (married in 2012), I have advised them and they are in the process of adding it.

Just curious though, the load advisor never took my maiden name, which is what my previous loan, card and finance was in. Could this explain why I was declined or is it something more?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Replies

• ThrugelmirThrugelmir Forumite
    85.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    How much were you looking to increase the loan too?
    Real insurance claim quote : -

"Going to work at 7am this morning I drove out of my drive straight into a bus. The bus was 5 minutes early.".
  • TixyTixy Forumite
    31.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is possible that this could have caused a problem but it would be impossible to say whether it definitely would have had a detrimental impact on the application.

Have you checked that the credit application search actually appeared on experian? it may be worth checking your credit file with each of the 3 agencies and ensuring you give any names and addresses you have used over the last 6years.
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
  • sarah539_2sarah539_2 Forumite
    22 Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I was looking to increase it to £12,000. It worked out at a top up of approx £5,500.

The call credit check came up fine and had everything on there. The experian I have requested be updated with my maiden name which they have said will be within 7 days and who is the third??

Thanks
  • 20aday20aday Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    ✭✭✭✭
    sarah539 wrote: »
    I was looking to increase it to £12,000. It worked out at a top up of approx £5,500.

The call credit check came up fine and had everything on there. The experian I have requested be updated with my maiden name which they have said will be within 7 days and who is the third??

Thanks

Equifax is the third agency in the UK: http://www.equifax.co.uk
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
    22 Posts
    Thanks, Ill get that done tonight.

It's just gutting, I have always been so careful with credit and to get declined was really worrying!

Hopefully things will look a lot better when my maiden name is added and the lovely advisor at Halifax gave me an address to write a letter and send the reports to at Halifax.
  • ThrugelmirThrugelmir Forumite
    85.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    sarah539 wrote: »

Then highly possible that your credit history is showing an ever increasing level of indebtedness. A trend which is now looked for.
    Real insurance claim quote : -

"Going to work at 7am this morning I drove out of my drive straight into a bus. The bus was 5 minutes early.".
    22 Posts
    Really? That's not good. If thats the reason I guess they would decline it regardless then. I'll have to write to them to find out the details I guess.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides