NPower - Late Payment mark on Credit Record for Direct Debits

Options
Hi all

This month I checked my credit record with Noddle & Experian to discover NPower have put a "Late Payment" mark against this month’s report (April). My credit rating has now gone from being "Good" to "Poor". As my Electricity & Gas bills are paid to NPower by Direct Debit I was confused how this could happen. I contacted NPower customer service yesterday and they were unable to explain how this happened and that my query had been passed to the "Credit Expert Team" which would respond within 48 hours.
Today I phoned their customer service line again to request for an update only to be told that I will now get a response within 10 days!! Obviously I was very upset and complained that this response time was very unsatisfactory. They have now raised another complaint against this response time.

The thing that bemuses me is that NPower are quick to put a negative mark against your credit record but cannot give you answer why for two working weeks! Ironically NPower updated my credit record on Sunday 20th April - However their customer service isn't open on a Sundays to complain!

Has anyone else had a similar issue with NPower and can anyone advise on my options? This company is literally ruining people’s lives!

Thanks
Tony

Comments

• dogshome
    dogshome Posts: 3,877 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Check thro' your bank statements to see that all the required D/D's to n'power were taken - (Bit of a bummer if not as n'power will say it's the banks fault and the bank will blame n'power)

If all the D/D's were paid and this Credit mark has affected you financially, it's important you write a letter headed Complaint as this makes a clear path for you to claim any £'s lost from n'power
  • GingerBob_3
    GingerBob_3 Posts: 3,659 Forumite
    Options
    Tony2014 wrote: »
    Has anyone else had a similar issue with NPower and can anyone advise on my options? This company is literally ruining people’s lives!

There are many similar complaints on this board about nPower, surely one of the most hated companies in Britain, who by reporting to the CRAs have taken it upon themselves to screw you over financially through no fault of your own. It's long past the time when the govenrment should act - NPower's licence to supply energy should be revoked.

I suggest you ditch them now. Go to a company that doesn't report to the CRAs - at the moment I don't think EDF do.
  • Tony2014
    Options
    Thanks for your advice dogshome & GingerBob

Once I understand their reasoning behind it, I will follow it up with a headed letter of complaint. I only switched over to NPower a few months back to save on my energy bills - looks like I lose out on customer service and a good credit record as a consequence.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure