White Clover clay soil advice please.

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
2 replies 466 views
charlievalentine_2charlievalentine_2 Forumite
102 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
Hello,
I am a complete gardening novice on a tight budget trying to turn our back yard into a usable space for my little boy for summer. It is mainly uneven concrete but has a rectangle of 2.4m x 3.4m clay soil (with gravel like bits in it in places). I was going to put artificial grass down on this but have given up for a number of reasons including price. However, I had already given it a good dig. I have removed deep enough to completely fill a builders bag (good few inches) and it is reasonably level. I have decided to just sow some white clover on the patch and be careful of bees if it grows well. I have a couple of 125l bags of multipurpose compost and am wondering if I should put the clay soil back in before I sow, or a mix of the soil and compost, or just compost? Or maybe soil, then seeds, then compost on top! I have no idea. Also, I read to mix the seeds with sand to sow them. Could anybody advise me what sand please?
Any help regarding the soil/compost and the sand type would be appreciated. Many thanks.

Replies

• DaftyDuckDaftyDuck Forumite
    4.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd use the compost - and enough of the clay soil to make the right level - and mix them in together.

If you want to mix the seeds with sand, you'd probably be OK with any sand in that quantity - builders, sharp, silver - but the purpose of the sand is really just to help spread small seed reasonably evenly. So, since you have compost, save half a bucketful. Mix the seed thoroughly, then mix it again (you weren't thorough enough first time...;)) then one more time for luck, and spread that evenly on the prepared surface.
  • Thank you very much. That's a great help.:)
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Lloyds Bank wrongly declares customer dead

Account was closed due to a misreading

MSE News

Cheap home insurance

Grab 100+ buildings insurance quotes & cashback

MSE Guides

£12 for 1L Baileys

Available at Tesco, Morrisons & Asda

MSE Deals