Corsican mint

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
4 replies 939 views
adouglasmhoradouglasmhor Forumite
15.6K Posts
Photogenic
✭✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
Does anyone know if you can get seeds for this plant anywhere or even if it sets seed (not a certainty with mints)?

I really want to do a lawn with it but doing it with plug plants would be prohibitively expensive.
The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head. Terry Pratchett

http.thisisnotalink.cöm

Replies

• DaftyDuckDaftyDuck Forumite
    4.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't know of a supplier for seed, haven't even looked. However, it is easy to grow and multiply... probably even to the scale of a substantial lawn. Each individual couple of leaves have their own tiny stem and can be teased out. Set in some fine compost, it forms a new small clump within days. I'd say a standard small 4" pot would cover about five seed trays with plantlets, which would become a solid mass in a month. Set those out on a half-shady lawn, and it'd be covered by the end of the year.

Many mints don't breed true from seed, so I'd be loath to buy unless from a reputable supplier...

Despite the Corsican name, it doesn't do as well in full, drying sun. I use it to fill the gaps on several stone paths, and it's a glorious aroma when walked on.
  • adouglasmhoradouglasmhor Forumite
    15.6K Posts
    Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DaftyDuck wrote: »
    I don't know of a supplier for seed, haven't even looked. However, it is easy to grow and multiply... probably even to the scale of a substantial lawn. Each individual couple of leaves have their own tiny stem and can be teased out. Set in some fine compost, it forms a new small clump within days. I'd say a standard small 4" pot would cover about five seed trays with plantlets, which would become a solid mass in a month. Set those out on a half-shady lawn, and it'd be covered by the end of the year.

Many mints don't breed true from seed, so I'd be loath to buy unless from a reputable supplier...

Despite the Corsican name, it doesn't do as well in full, drying sun. I use it to fill the gaps on several stone paths, and it's a glorious aroma when walked on.

It's for a north facing lawn (well mostly moss a lot of the time) With tall trees to the north and a 2 story building to the south. so rarely gets full sun. Your post has inspired me to give it a go using what you suggest..
    The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head. Terry Pratchett

http.thisisnotalink.cöm
  • lostinrateslostinrates Forumite
    55.3K Posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    It's for a north facing lawn (well mostly moss a lot of the time) With tall trees to the north and a 2 story building to the south. so rarely gets full sun. Your post has inspired me to give it a go using what you suggest..

I'd love to see pictures of this as you progress! I love alternative lawns and this sounds like a gem of an idea.

Would you consider sharing the process and finished pictures....please?
  • DavesnaveDavesnave Forumite
    34.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone know if you can get seeds for this plant anywhere or even if it sets seed (not a certainty with mints)?

I really want to do a lawn with it but doing it with plug plants would be prohibitively expensive.

Not sure about seed. :o

An old business rival of mine sells the plant. He's reputable, though obviously not as reputable as me! :D

http://www.chewvalleybusiness.co.uk/arne-herbs/

http://www.arneherbs.co.uk/
    People who don't stand for something will fall for anything.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Tesco launches its first ever...

...checkout-free supermarket store

MSE News

25+ ways to stop scams

Plus what to do if you're a victim

MSE Guides

Beauty Advent calendar round-up

The Body Shop, Holland & Barrett etc

MSE Deals