IKEA Sultan Hasselback Mattress Problem

Options
As per the title - we purchase the above mattress which comes with a brilliant 25 year warranty. Only issue it's now sagged in the middle despite being cared for as per IKEA guidelines and is causing us backaches and sleepless nights.
Have spoken to IKEA customer services that say although a 25 year guarantee and this mattress hasn't been around for that length of time unless we have the original receipt they can do nothing.
We're usually pretty good at keep receipts but cannot find this one and having searched the bank account - can only find one amount which may / may not be for the mattress - cannot prove if it is this or not.
IKEA customer services can not provide any help and its a long way to travel plus the invonvenince of trying to get a super king size mattress to the store and every chance they will turn us away because we don't have the original receipt.
Having read up the internet - many people reporting the same issue with this particular mattress which has now been superceded.
Really not sure what we can do. Any advice please ?

Comments

• tomtontom
    tomtontom Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    edited 28 April 2014 at 11:19AM
    Options
    How long ago was the mattress purchased? If in the last few years I would take the receipt to the store and see if they can trace the transaction. Don't take the mattress until you know they can help.

It is frustrating but the reason they ask for proof is because you could have bought it second hand, or even stolen it ;)

Edit: Read 'receipt' as bank statement!
  • adouglasmhor
    adouglasmhor Posts: 15,554 Forumite
    Photogenic
    Options
    tomtontom wrote: »
    How long ago was the mattress purchased? If in the last few years I would take the receipt to the store and see if they can trace the transaction. Don't take the mattress until you know they can help.

It is frustrating but the reason they ask for proof is because you could have bought it second hand, or even stolen it ;)

You seem to have missed the bit about they can't find the reciept.
    The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head. Terry Pratchett

http.thisisnotalink.cöm
  • tomtontom
    tomtontom Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Options
    You seem to have missed the bit about they can't find the reciept.

I meant the bank statement - must not type whilst eating ice cream!
  • lee_s
    lee_s Posts: 26 Forumite
    Options
    We have a bank statement but to be honest when they searched the day and the amount it doesn't show anything up.
    I was told ( by customer services ) that turning up to the store with a copy of the bank statement won't work and we could get turned away.
    Customer services simply said send a copy of the statement and they'll check into it further, but their preliminary search didn't show anything - it was probably 5 yrs ago so not sure how long they keep receipt records for.
    Seems the 25 yr guarantee means nothing unless you keep a copy of the receipt - having a bank statement doesn't prove anything. Looks like we're stuffed. Lesson to be learnt make sure you keep your receipt / laminate it (most till receipts wouldn't last 25 yrs ) and keep it with mattress :-(
    I had hoped for much better customer service - having spent a fair amount with IKEA leaves a bad taste in the mouth.
    tomtontom wrote: »
    I meant the bank statement - must not type whilst eating ice cream!
  • visidigi
    visidigi Posts: 6,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Im sure I read that if they delivered it originally if they have to replace it they will deliver the new one and take away the old...

But yes, guarantee's can require the receipt as proof - normal, especially as you cannot prove without it that you are the original purchaser, where the guarantee is only usually applicable for.
  • dizziblonde
    dizziblonde Posts: 4,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We had problems with it - no receipt but managed to find the transaction on a bank statement (we had to order an archive copy of the time period covered from our bank - other stuff was in the purchase as well so there wasn't an exact correspondence between the mattress cost and amount on the bank statement but there was a big "Ikea" chunk coming out). That was enough for them to send someone out to inspect the mattress who confirmed the pockets the springs were in had collapsed in a number of places and that it wasn't down to abuse or anything like that... phonecall from them the following day offering a range of the replacement ones to choose from and a delivery/collection of the old one to us.

Was a couple of years ago now - I'd made the initial complaint in writing to the store manager before it got moved to their customer service to deal with there.

Don't ever laminate till receipts btw (sure you're only joking) - the paper turns completely black with the heat of the laminator - told to us by someone who was doing a pregnancy scan which prints onto the same paper - the tale of numerous parents to be wrecking their scan photos that way!
    Little miracle born April 2012, 33 weeks gestation and a little toughie!
  • lee_s
    Options
    Understand needing to prove purchase but receipt is lost and bank statement shows we spent money in IKEA. I had hoped this would have been sufficient.
    Actually it's times like these you know how good a retailer is or isn't. Lesson learnt - so well done IKEA, totalling up my spend since July 2006 - I'd spent over £2.5k - but you won't have another penny out of me in my lifetime.
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 28 April 2014 at 2:29PM
    Options
    lee_s wrote: »
    Understand needing to prove purchase but receipt is lost and bank statement shows we spent money in IKEA. I had hoped this would have been sufficient.
    Actually it's times like these you know how good a retailer is or isn't. Lesson learnt - so well done IKEA, totalling up my spend since July 2006 - I'd spent over £2.5k - but you won't have another penny out of me in my lifetime.

Call your bank and ask them to order a copy of the receipt for you. They'll probably charge you but it might be worth it. That's if you're sure the transaction is the right one !

It's not ikeas fault you don't have the receipt, that doesn't make them a bad retailer.
  • lee_s
    Options
    meer53 wrote: »
    Call your bank and ask them to order a copy of the receipt for you. They'll probably charge you but it might be worth it. That's if you're sure the transaction is the right one !

It's not ikeas fault you don't have the receipt, that doesn't make them a bad retailer.

I've got a copy of the transaction through a bank statement - it shows I spent a total amount with IKEA which would have included the mattress and other items. Why would my bank have a copy of the IKEA receipt detailing the items I purchased ??

And for the record, not blaming IKEA for me not having the receipt, but as I can prove I spent money with them at approx the right time, saying they won't accept this is unreasonable. By the way the sale of goods act says you can provide other proofs of purchase and bank statement should suffice. So yes, I can blame them for bad customer service.
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    lee_s wrote: »
    I've got a copy of the transaction through a bank statement - it shows I spent a total amount with IKEA which would have included the mattress and other items. Why would my bank have a copy of the IKEA receipt detailing the items I purchased ??

And for the record, not blaming IKEA for me not having the receipt, but as I can prove I spent money with them at approx the right time, saying they won't accept this is unreasonable. By the way the sale of goods act says you can provide other proofs of purchase and bank statement should suffice. So yes, I can blame them for bad customer service.

Banks can order copies of receipts from the merchant as part of their dispute procedures. They will be able to get a copy of the itemised receipt from ikea which shows what you bought.

Your problem is that you can't actually prove that you bought the mattress, you only have proof that you spent money at ikea.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure