ex has emptied house

Options
Hi just after some advice please.
Ill be as brief as poss. I won some money a few yrs ago and was able to afford a new house, had been with partner 2 yrs so we both had names put on deeds. 6 yrs down the line and we split at xmas, she moved out leaving me and my 3 dogs, all was good until she decided to return with her family in toe, sister brother in law nephews nieces sons etc.. making life very uncomfortable for me as i work nights and they liked to have 3/4 day drinking sessions. i would get home from work and find things had been taken like tv, cctv system, my pc. one day i got up to find someone changing the locks. I got a key 3 days later but had already decided to go stay with a friend so got my dogs and left with a few clothes. I went to pick up more clothes one morning and we exchanged words at this point she ran at my bedroom door and shouted to her sister that i had assaulted her and to call the police, 14hrs later i was released without charge but when i returned to my house she had emptied it leaving only my clothes a bed and my washing machine. most things were bought before we lived together but the likes of the sofas 2 more beds 3 tvs too much to name really were bought when we moved in, is there anything i can do to get my things back without having to pay thousands of pounds in solicitors fees. im devastated i have nothing but the clothes on my back basically.:(
:undecided:undecided

Comments

• BrassicWoman
    BrassicWoman Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    what price to be shot of a nutter?

best get the house on the market too.
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
  • maggy50
    maggy50 Posts: 783 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Start again if you can .
    You must be strong to have put up with all you described with drinking parties etc.
    Speaking from experience it is not worth going the route of trying to get anything back or compensation legally it took me two years !!

I sold my house in the end and moved away .

Best thing I ever did .

Good luck to you .x
    Light travels faster than sound.

This is why some people seem as bright until you hear them.
  • ltrent
    ltrent Posts: 31 Forumite
    Options
    Been where you are now, I came back from work to a emptied house, I can honestly say 10 years down the line, as hard as it seems just move on and put the experience behind you, i was in tears about it at the time, but looking back now i had a lucky escape. oh and change your toothbrush if that was left behind, luckily mine and dirty finger prints on it so I didn't use it, but a year down the line I ran into the person who did it and they had used my toothbrush to clean the toilet before they left.

I sold the house, and using what was left was able to move to a rented house and borrow basic furniture (bean bags in my case).
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    maxgwen wrote: »
    I won some money a few yrs ago and was able to afford a new house, had been with partner 2 yrs so we both had names put on deeds.
    best get the house on the market too.

As she is also on the deeds, you won't be able to sell the house without her agreement every step of the way.
  • maxgwen
    maxgwen Posts: 80 Forumite
    Options
    I get the keys to my new place on thursday:j, its rented but i hope to buy it once my other house sells. The problem there is she wants to go for a quick sale company (she is back living in her other house with hubby) so is happy with anything she can get, i on the other hand want enough to buy this new house out right so i dont have a mortgage. :angry::angry:
    :undecided:undecided
  • Crabapple
    Crabapple Posts: 1,573 Forumite
    Options
    maxgwen wrote: »
    I get the keys to my new place on thursday:j, its rented but i hope to buy it once my other house sells. The problem there is she wants to go for a quick sale company (she is back living in her other house with hubby) so is happy with anything she can get, i on the other hand want enough to buy this new house out right so i dont have a mortgage. :angry::angry:

The converse of mojisola's post - she can't do anything without your consent either. So get it on the market asap for both your benefits, but refuse to sign anything for a quick sale. Point out that she doesn't need the money urgently and the open market will bring more.

You might suggest that if it doesn't sell after a period of x months you will reconsider her idea (doesn't mean you actually have to but might help keep her sweet until you can seee the back of her for good).
    :heartpuls Daughter born January 2012 :heartpuls Son born February 2014 :heartpuls

Slimming World ~ trying to get back on the wagon...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure