No meter readings when moved in?

Options
icklejulez
icklejulez Posts: 1,209 Forumite
Hi,

Can anyone advise what will happen if I haven't got hold of the meter readings from when I moved into my rental property? We changed suppliers but we have mislaid the initial readings and have now been here 2 months. I don't want to be paying for someone else's gas and electric although the property had been empty for quite a long time and the electric and gas were off when we viewed?

Thanks
Saving needed to emigrate to Oz
*September 2015*

£11,860.00 needed = £1,106 in savings

Comments

• honeybean
    honeybean Posts: 129 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    When my daughter moved into her flat the agent also took reading as part of their check and she had to sign it.it might be worth asking your LA if you went through one,maybe they will have a copy.
  • icklejulez
    Options
    I will try this, the agent was an individual who had just started up his own business. He was next to useless... He ignored most our messages, did no inventory and literally handed us the keys a month before we moved in. I don't hold much hope but its always worth a try! x
    *September 2015*

• Joyful
    Joyful Posts: 2,426 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 27 April 2014 at 10:01AM
    Options
    This will be a third party dispute if you ever try to reject the bill. You may well be billed for when it was empty as you cannot confirm a reading.

Have you called the energy company to get an account opened? Take a reading now and call them. If the bill then seems really high they may ask you to monitor your readings and call them back, but if they then changed them and charged the landlord more, he could refuse this and you would be stuck with the bill to pay.

From what you say, make sure everything else is correct with your rental and that you have a gas safety certificate if you have a gas supply.

Oops Just realised you have changed suppliers.That muddies the waters if you have not given readings.
    Self Employed, Running my Dream Jobs
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    How can you have changed suppliers if you haven't registered for an account? When you did that they would ask you for opening readings. Only then could you commence a switch.
    It's not the agent or LL's job to do this. Your account, your bill.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • icklejulez
    Options
    They asked for a reading and I never got round to giving it them, they did however switch suppliers. I know it was my job but its in a meter cupboard with a triangular key that I have never been given so I had no access to it. I'm studying a degree, working full time and looking after 3 children whilst disputing ridiculous claims from my previous landlord so certain things have been missed! We've been paying monthly each month to the new energy company.
    *September 2015*

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills