Account that doesn't require Photo ID to open

Options
Could anyone tell me of any bank or building society that doesn't require photo ID when opening a new current account.

I am one of those folks who doesn't have a driving licence or a passport and therefore have nothing with my ugly mug on. Looking through various requirements online it seems most of them ask for one or the other. I have the other usual forms of ID birth certificate, payslips, etc. not utility bills though as I still live with parents.

I'm just looking for a basic current account with cashcard that my wages can go into, and a couple of direct debits can come out of, with a small overdraft facility (around £250 as a fall safe).

If it's any help I currently bank with Halifax and I'm looking to move away from them. Natwest is not an option either. Preferrably I'd like to apply online. The only banks/societys we have access to near where I live other than the two mentioned are LLoyds, Barclays, HSBC, Nationwide, and Norwich & Peterborough. But to be honest I very rarely set foot in the bank other than to use the cash machine.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Aquamania
    Aquamania Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    Options
    Could anyone tell me of any bank or building society that doesn't require photo ID when opening a new current account.

I am one of those folks who doesn't have a driving licence or a passport and therefore have nothing with my ugly mug on. Looking through various requirements online it seems most of them ask for one or the other. I have the other usual forms of ID birth certificate, payslips, etc. not utility bills though as I still live with parents.

I'm just looking for a basic current account with cashcard that my wages can go into, and a couple of direct debits can come out of, with a small overdraft facility (around £250 as a fall safe).

If it's any help I currently bank with Halifax and I'm looking to move away from them. Natwest is not an option either. Preferrably I'd like to apply online. The only banks/societys we have access to near where I live other than the two mentioned are LLoyds, Barclays, HSBC, Nationwide, and Norwich & Peterborough. But to be honest I very rarely set foot in the bank other than to use the cash machine.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

I opened a TSB account online recently - never gave any photo ID. Never gave any ID at all to be honest; they presumably checked me out electronically.

Check them out - 5% interest as long as you pay in £500 a month :)
    (You need to apply for internet banking and agree to paperless statements to get the interest)
  • Mr_Goodkat
    Mr_Goodkat Posts: 432 Forumite
    Options
    If you are on the Electoral Roll at your current address and have some form of credit footprint, e.g. bank account, credit card, mortgage etc then it is likely most banks / BS would not require ID to open an account.
  • SuperHan
    SuperHan Posts: 2,269 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As above, if you are on the electoral roll and you apply online, they very rarely ask for a form of ID. The only issue is if they have trouble verifying you electronically.

I have opened many accounts (Nationwide, Halifax to name a few) that didn't ask for any further ID.
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 25 April 2014 at 10:36AM
    Options
    I think a mandatory photo ID is rather an exception than a rule.
    Most (all?) banks/BSs accept some some other proofs instead.
    E.g. see Nationwide: http://www.nationwide.co.uk/support/service/customer-identification
    Or we can accept one document from the Proof of Name list and one document from the Proof of Current Address list if you're applying in a branch or returning your documents to us by post.
    Barclays seem to offer fewer options, but suggest you calling them "if you’re unable to provide these documents", that implies that other options are available.
    http://www.barclays.co.uk/Helpsupport/Identificationforbankaccounts/P1242557966027
  • camperdown9
    camperdown9 Posts: 148 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

Just really agreeing with everyone else here. If you apply for an account online then its unlikely that they will ask to see photo id.

The only exceptions that I have had were HSBC. They let me apply for the account online and then a few days later sent me by letter a sort code and account number. However they wouldn't let me use the account in anyway until I went to a branch with some photo id.

Also Ulster Bank (Northern Ireland) let me apply online and approved the account. However they wouldn't open the account until I got a solicitor to photocopy my passport and then stamp and sign the copy.

Alex
  • sparky0138
    sparky0138 Posts: 485 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I always get asked to take ID into branch and I don't have photo ID either. I've tried TSB, Lloyds and Nationwide. With Lloyds I made an appointment and took ID in which they scanned and sent off but one of them wasn't accepted so I didn't bother trying again.

Nationwide were great though. IIRC I took a bank statement from HSBC and a letter from HMRC and they accepted them fine. I didn't have to make an appointment either as they did it all on computer at the customer service desk. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure