Having a DRO and moving country?

Options
Hi i'm not sure i'm in the correct thread here so apologise if so,
So I have had my DRO for over a year now (Close to 14 Months) and I assume all my debts have been cleared as my situation hasn't changed in that time,
I have been looking for work for the past year and I have finally been offered a job but it's in the Netherlands, I really really want this job but Im slightly worried that when I try to open a dutch bank account I will have trouble like I have had in the UK since my DRO, Since getting my DRO I have only been able to open a account with OneBanking here in the UK and have been refused by all major banks that I have tried,
So my question is would I have trouble opening a bank account over there because I have had a DRO?

Comments

• debt_doctor
    debt_doctor Posts: 4,595 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi,

Whilst perhaps potentially they could check your UK credit file from the Netherlands, it's probably unlikely (although wouldn't mind an opinion from our on line Experian rep).
    Unsure on whether having no credit history in the Netherlands might hinder a new bank account.
    Best person to answer would be someone who has actually done it, as in all honesty we can only offer a best guess.

DD
    Debt Doctor, Debt caseworker, Citizens' Advice Bureau .
    Impartial debt advice services: Citizens Advice Bureau Find your local CAB *** National Debtline - Tel: 0808 808 4000*** BSC No. 100 ***
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mikeb1989 wrote: »
    Hi i'm not sure i'm in the correct thread here so apologise if so,
    So I have had my DRO for over a year now (Close to 14 Months) and I assume all my debts have been cleared as my situation hasn't changed in that time,
    I have been looking for work for the past year and I have finally been offered a job but it's in the Netherlands, I really really want this job but Im slightly worried that when I try to open a dutch bank account I will have trouble like I have had in the UK since my DRO, Since getting my DRO I have only been able to open a account with OneBanking here in the UK and have been refused by all major banks that I have tried,
    So my question is would I have trouble opening a bank account over there because I have had a DRO?

Hi Mike

If it's been 14 months since your DRO was approved then it will have run its course by now. There is no automatic notification sent to you when the "moratorium" period ends, so I would suggest that for peace of mind you search for your name in the Insolvency Register:

http://www.insolvencydirect.bis.gov.uk/eiir/

This should confirm that your DRO ended 12 months after it began. Your details will remain on the register for three months after that date before disappearing altogether.

As for opening a Dutch bank account, banks don't typically interrogate credit reports from other countries. If you are approaching a bank that also has a presence in the UK, they may run some internal checks for any activity you may have had with them in the past.

Requirements for opening bank accounts will vary from country to country but there are usually procedures in place to accommodate economic immigrants. The bank might ask for a letter from your new employer, for example. Why not speak to your prospective new bosses and ask them directly? I'm sure they will have had to deal with this sort of scenario before.

Regards

Dennis
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure