In the middle of a claim and a bit confused.

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Reclaiming Mortgage Fees, Council Tax, etc
3 replies 1.1K views
johannisjohannis Forumite
162 Posts
Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
Thanks for looking, i appreciate the help.
I'm in the middle of putting in a claim for misselling of insurance against the Halifax. We were sold Mortgage protection when we borrowed a little extra on the mortgage in 2006.
we originally bought a house in 1997, new buyers and we put ourselves completely in the hands of a financial advisor with regards to paperwork and what products we ought to be buying.
At the time she arranged cover with Guardian, I was under the impression it was life insurance but whilst researching the Halifax claim it appears it was a Mortgage protection plan.
I don't think it was the right product at the time and it overlapped for a time with the Halifax product.
I think i should investigate a claim over this, but i'm not sure who i would approach, the advisor or Guardian?
Any advice would be appreciated.
J

Replies

• dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    107.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I was under the impression it was life insurance but whilst researching the Halifax claim it appears it was a Mortgage protection plan.

The term "mortgage protection plan" is a marketing name and not a product name. Some companies use that name to describe their life assurance and some use it to describe their MPPI. So, what is the actual product?
    I think i should investigate a claim over this, but i'm not sure who i would approach, the advisor or Guardian?

The adviser. However, get your complaint straight and factual. Most mortgage insurance complaints are rejected. You havent actually stated what your complaint reason is (or your post doesnt contain a valid reason).
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • johannisjohannis Forumite
    162 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Thanks for the reply,

The product was called the 'Mortgage protection plan' which i know seems quite clear on paper, but throughout this first period of our mortgage we didn't have life insurance because we thought we already had it.
    I can find a document with 'personalised key facts' and a plan number but little else.

My main gripe is with the Halifax who at a later date sold us something we said we didn't want but in part due to the confusion caused by this original policy.

I don't believe the advisor deliberately misled us, but i do think we'd have been better off with a decent life insurance policy than this Mortgage protection one. I will in all probability not pursue this part of any claim.

thanks for your time.
  • roonaldoroonaldo Forumite
    3.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    johannis wrote: »
    I can find a document with 'personalised key facts' and a plan number but little else.
    Then this will state exactly what cover you were sold and you were given this in 2006! You havent indicated anything why it could have been mis-sold. Not having life insurance or thinking the cover was something else isnt mis-selling.

It sounds more like you dont understand what you bought rather than anything mis-sold.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

17 Netflix hacks

Cut costs & get more from your subscription

MSE Guides

Beauty Advent calendar round-up

Incl M&S calendar release date

MSE Deals