Theme Parks - 12yr olds are adults

Options

Comments

• tomtontom
    tomtontom Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Options
    Strange then that a 12 year old cannot take their 11 year old friend to the theme park, despite being classed as an adult for admission purposes!

Not strange at all - you can be classed as an adult for one purpose and not for another.
    kathrynha wrote: »
    I would prefer it if theme parks had 2 adult prices (maybe with different coloured wrist bands for each). One for people wanting to ride all the rides, and a cheaper one for wusses like my husband, who's only role in a theme park is to hold the bags.

For our family theme parks and many other attractions work out quite expensive, due to only having 1 child, and therefore not being able to make use of most family tickets, and buy one get one free isn't as good a saving when there is an odd number of you.

Great idea - I used to love going on rides but now have a balance problem that means I no longer can, I can't even look at them when they're in motion! It would be nice to have a lower price for bag holders ;)
  • TCB1
    TCB1 Posts: 56 Forumite
    Options
    Why not charge according to height rather than age?
  • Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Options
    So they can be sizeist as well? Let them charge by weight too - the PO's been doing that for years too!
  • anotheruser
    anotheruser Posts: 3,485 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 27 May 2014 at 12:36PM
    Options
    Charging a different price for non-riders at a theme park won't generate as much money as charging them. Why would any company say no to (essentially) free money?

TCB1 wrote: »
    Why not charge according to height rather than age?
    And generate even bigger queues at the entrances? As EVERYONE will have to be measured to be charged the correct fee. Plus, despite being a simple task, it's difficult to fit accurate height measuring boards that are all correct within millimetres of each other. Yeah, good idea :P

But then places like Alton Towers, if you buy a child ticket online and have it sent to you, then you put it in the turnstiles and you're in. You will only be in trouble if you are asked for your ticket, which if you're normal, you will be fine.

Similar for London Underground.
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,874 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 27 May 2014 at 2:44PM
    Options
    Charging a different price for non-riders at a theme park won't generate as much money as charging them. Why would any company say no to (essentially) free money?

That's not necessarily true - it might generate extra foot fall through the park. For example, rather than mum and dad just taking two kids, they might decide to bring granny and grandad along as well to sit in the grounds and/or look after the bags if they could get in at a reduced price.

And granny and grandad might then spend money in the cafetaria etc

Or a mum who doesn't want to ride might take the kids more often if she got in cheaper.
  • nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    We went to Disney in Florida when my children were 8 and 10 the older one was classed as an adult..
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Buzby wrote: »
    So they can be sizeist as well? Let them charge by weight too - the PO's been doing that for years too!

Indeed, apartheight for theme parks.
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • warehouse
    warehouse Posts: 3,362 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    It's not just theme parks and airlines. A local chinese eat all you like buffet near me charges adult price for 12 and over.
    Pants
  • KateBob
    KateBob Posts: 1,789 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    warehouse wrote: »
    It's not just theme parks and airlines. A local chinese eat all you like buffet near me charges adult price for 12 and over.

Indeed one near us does it for 11 or over.

Strangely my 12yo barely eats anything but my 9yo can pack away more than most adults I know (I think he has hollow legs).

Both of my kids are tall, last year at 8 my son was tall enough to get on all rides at Alton Towers so paying child prices but using as much as an adult.

Whatever cut off you use someone will be out of pocket.
    Kate short for Bob.

Alphabet thread High Priestess of all things unsavoury

Tesla was a genius.
  • kathrynha
    kathrynha Posts: 2,469 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    warehouse wrote: »

Well my 8 year old often eats as much as me, so that makes sense.

I always though the New York deli that I frequented when I visited my cousin had it right for food charging. It was all based on weight, whether eating in or taking out, at the same rate. The weight of the plate over the weight of the plastic container covered the eating-in cost.
    Zebras rock
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport