Natwest/RBS Letter

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Reclaim Bank & Credit Card Charges
17 replies 2.4K views
Gamechanger_3Gamechanger_3 Forumite
2 Posts
Apologies if this is a bit long! I have details of 10 linked loan accounts with Natwest over the last 15 years or so, i was told by their helpline that i could claim for missold PPI so I did. I received a separate reply relating to each loan account, from RBS but was told that only the first loan was eligible for compensation. When I called to query this i was told that i would have to send in a request (along with a cheque for £10) for them to access all the statements,send them to me to confirm or not whether all the accounts are subject to PPI payments and hence compensation. My question is, is this a delaying tactic, or is it likely that the outcome will be the same? Thank you

Replies

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I have details of 10 linked loan accounts with Natwest over the last 15 years or so
    What does your rejection letter for the disputed loans say? If it says their records show no PPI, then there is little else you can do unless you have evidence from your own archive to the contrary.

If you have evidence that these loans were all consolidated one into the other and that PPI was attached to all of them then you should send this to the Bank and ask them to re-consider your complaint. If you have no such evidence, then the Bank are correct that you can send a SAR letter to confirm what information they still have on file for you.

Loans are not "eligible for compensation" just because they had PPI, you have to make a complaint of mis-selling with valid reasons. If you didn't have any PPI on the other loans then there can be no refund of it.
  • Thank you for your reply - the letters do say they have no evidence of PPI associated with the given loan numbers. However, the person with whom I spoke originally that gave me the account numbers, dates of loans and associated loan amounts told me that the accounts were linked with respect of PPI. So should I go ahead and request the SAR (what does this stand for?) - The settlement figure offered is in the region of £500, where the loan amounts ranged from £2000 - £40000. Once again thank you for your help
    0 Posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    So should I go ahead and request the SAR
    You can write a Subject Access Request(SAR) letter, but only if you don't believe the Bank when they say the subsequent loans didn't have PPI. The SAR will just corroborate what the Bank are saying, unless a serious error has taken place (which would be a complaint in itself).
    Your choice whether to spend £10 on this.
  • AtidiAtidi Forumite
    943 Posts
    Apologies if this is a bit long! I have details of 10 linked loan accounts with Natwest over the last 15 years or so, i was told by their helpline that i could claim for missold PPI so I did. I received a separate reply relating to each loan account, from RBS but was told that only the first loan was eligible for compensation. When I called to query this i was told that i would have to send in a request (along with a cheque for £10) for them to access all the statements,send them to me to confirm or not whether all the accounts are subject to PPI payments and hence compensation. My question is, is this a delaying tactic, or is it likely that the outcome will be the same? Thank you

If the helpline have admitted to selling you PPI on the 10 linked loan applications, and encouraged you to make a claim on all accounts, then perhaps you could make a complaint about such advice, as it appears only 1 account was eligible.

Also why are you being encouraged now to spend £10 on an SAR when they obviously have all the details they needed to establish that 9 out of 10 loans did not qualify???
    Perhaps another complaint about that could be made?
    0 Posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Atidi wrote: »
    If the helpline have admitted to selling you PPI on the 10 linked loan applications, and encouraged you to make a claim on all accounts, then perhaps you could make a complaint about such advice, as it appears only 1 account was eligible.
    The Helpline "admit" nothing and do not "encourage" complaints. All they do is tell customers enquiring about PPI what they can see on their screens. It's entirely possible for the OP to have misunderstood what she was told and, as there is nothing in writing anyway, any complaint would simply be "hearsay" for which she could provide no evidence.
    why are you being encouraged now to spend £10 on an SAR when they obviously have all the details they needed to establish that 9 out of 10 loans did not qualify???
    Perhaps another complaint about that could be made?
    She is not being "encouraged" to request a SAR. The Bank have told her, in writing, that only the first loan had PPI. On challenging this, she was informed that she could send a SAR letter if she wants proof of the information they hold.

I'm not saying for one minute that the Bank have definitely acted correctly here, it is certainly possible a mistake has been made. The OP will have to send a SAR to be certain and only if this proves the Bank to be wrong should any further complaint be made.
  • dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    106.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    However, the person with whom I spoke originally that gave me the account numbers, dates of loans and associated loan amounts told me that the accounts were linked with respect of PPI.

The loans may be linked to your account profile. The loans may be linked by a repayment chain (clearing one by taking out another - this is the issue that linking really means). However, they are not linked by PPI. Maybe one loan had PPI and another didnt. Maybe the chain of early repayment and immediate new loan didnt stem over 10 loans.
    Also why are you being encouraged now to spend £10 on an SAR when they obviously have all the details they needed to establish that 9 out of 10 loans did not qualify???

The bank are only telling her that that if they dont believe the bank they can do a SAR.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • AtidiAtidi Forumite
    943 Posts
    The Helpline "admit" nothing and do not "encourage" complaints. All they do is tell customers enquiring about PPI what they can see on their screens. It's entirely possible for the OP to have misunderstood what she was told and, as there is nothing in writing anyway, any complaint would simply be "hearsay" for which she could provide no evidence.

She is not being "encouraged" to request a SAR. The Bank have told her, in writing, that only the first loan had PPI. On challenging this, she was informed that she could send a SAR letter if she wants proof of the information they hold.

I'm not saying for one minute that the Bank have definitely acted correctly here, it is certainly possible a mistake has been made. The OP will have to send a SAR to be certain and only if this proves the Bank to be wrong should any further complaint be made.
    I can only base my response based on the OP's post.

We obviously have two very differing interpretations of the OP's post. :)
    0 Posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    We obviously have two very differing interpretations of the OP's post. :)
    She responded to my request for further information at post #3 which rather negated the need to "interpret" her initial post.
  • AtidiAtidi Forumite
    943 Posts
    dunstonh wrote: »
    ...The bank are only telling her that that if they dont believe the bank they can do a SAR.

Again, open to interpretation.

The way I read it is that the bank are actively suggesting the OP sends them £10 for something they already have the information on.

I don't know why any reasonable bank would request a customer to spend £10 to get the answer to a complaint, when the bank already have that information in front of them in order to have decided that complaint.

If I were the OP, I'd forward the complaint to the FOS. They will ensure they get whatever information the bank used to come to their decision for free ... and perhaps charge the bank £500 (or is it £750 nowadays) for the privilege.
  • edited 24 April 2014 at 11:44AM
    AtidiAtidi Forumite
    943 Posts
    edited 24 April 2014 at 11:44AM
    She responded to my request for further information at post #3 which rather negated the need to "interpret" her initial post.
    I'm not sure I understand you, but would say I found post#3 very confusing after post#1, so that is why I responded directly to post #1
    ... I have details of 10 linked loan accounts with Natwest over the last 15 years or so, i was told by their helpline that i could claim for missold PPI ...
    ... the letters do say they have no evidence of PPI associated with the given loan numbers. ...

:huh:
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides

Cinema MoneySaving tips & tricks

Including year's 2for1 movies for £1

MSE Deals