Vouchers for York

Options
Have just visited York with my 2 children and my sister and found loads of vouchers to help with the cost of visiting the attractions so thought I would pass on the info to anyone interested. We went by train with a railcard and by showing our tickets got into York Minster for the cost of one adult ticket. I think children are free anyway unless you want to go into the tower. They also lent us a childrens backpack with binoculars, magnifying glass, colouring stuff, quiz sheets, torch etc, which was ideal for exploring the inside of the Minster. Also tickets remain valid for a year.
Northern rail have downloadable vouchers which in conjunction with a valid train ticket will let one person per paying adult in free to Jorvik, Dig, Yorkboat river cruises, and Chocolate Story (but not all year). Gopher deals (on internet) have loads of vouchers for children to get into Jorvik, Dig etc free, and 2 for 1 deals in some restaurants. I also found a child goes free to Jorvik voucher from Moneysupermarket.
Free things to do included walking round the city walls and following the York Cat trail, which takes you on a walking tour of York as you look for cat statues on buildings round the city, map downloadable from "York lucky cats" or you can get a copy from the York Glass shop in the Shambles.
Plenty of discount vouchers in the tourist leaflets too as well as restaurants & cafes having signs out offering free children's lunches etc.

Comments

• Ruth_honey
    Ruth_honey Posts: 2,831 Forumite
    Options
    Frondorddu wrote: »
    Have just visited York with my 2 children and my sister and found loads of vouchers to help with the cost of visiting the attractions so thought I would pass on the info to anyone interested. We went by train with a railcard and by showing our tickets got into York Minster for the cost of one adult ticket. I think children are free anyway unless you want to go into the tower. They also lent us a childrens backpack with binoculars, magnifying glass, colouring stuff, quiz sheets, torch etc, which was ideal for exploring the inside of the Minster. Also tickets remain valid for a year.
    Northern rail have downloadable vouchers which in conjunction with a valid train ticket will let one person per paying adult in free to Jorvik, Dig, Yorkboat river cruises, and Chocolate Story (but not all year). Gopher deals (on internet) have loads of vouchers for children to get into Jorvik, Dig etc free, and 2 for 1 deals in some restaurants. I also found a child goes free to Jorvik voucher from Moneysupermarket.
    Free things to do included walking round the city walls and following the York Cat trail, which takes you on a walking tour of York as you look for cat statues on buildings round the city, map downloadable from "York lucky cats" or you can get a copy from the York Glass shop in the Shambles.
    Plenty of discount vouchers in the tourist leaflets too as well as restaurants & cafes having signs out offering free children's lunches etc.

Thanks! Just booked a couple of nights in York in June so will look out for discounts and vouchers. Not got kids, but is there anything you'd especially recommend?
    Cross Stitch Cafe Monthly Challenge Member #27
    12/12/12 challenge-[STRIKE]Season's Greeting Newton's Law[/STRIKE] Christmas polar bear-finished on time! :)
    Thanks to all the girls in the Cross Stitch Cafe! You're all fantastic! :A
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,590 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    York has masses of things to see. Wander around the narrow medieval streets and the Shambles near the Minster-half timbered houses with overhanging storeys and weird street names- some almost longer than the streets!
    There's the castle keep, Castle museum, the National Rail Museum, walk the city walls, have a boat trip on the river, visit the Minster......have tea at Bettys....check if there is an event when you are there. Often at the weekends there are buskers, dancers etc.
    There's a York pass - which might be a good buy for you?
    http://www.yorkpass.com/
    and the official site:
    http://www.visityork.org/

Enjoy!
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,30 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=164 £88.25 spent!!!
  • Ruth_honey
    Options
    Katiehound wrote: »
    York has masses of things to see. Wander around the narrow medieval streets and the Shambles near the Minster-half timbered houses with overhanging storeys and weird street names- some almost longer than the streets!
    There's the castle keep, Castle museum, the National Rail Museum, walk the city walls, have a boat trip on the river, visit the Minster......have tea at Bettys....check if there is an event when you are there. Often at the weekends there are buskers, dancers etc.
    There's a York pass - which might be a good buy for you?
    http://www.yorkpass.com/
    and the official site:
    http://www.visityork.org/

Enjoy!

Don't think we'd be able to get the money's worth to justify buying the pass, but I'd love a boat trip and tea at Betty's sounds wonderful.
    Just wandering around a new city is good fun. Looking forward to it! :)
    12/12/12 challenge-[STRIKE]Season's Greeting Newton's Law[/STRIKE] Christmas polar bear-finished on time! :)
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,590 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The boat trip is the one thing (just about !) that I haven't done. Betty's is very popular - probably not very MSE though!
    York is a delightful city to explore on foot, the little alley ways around the Shambles are especially good. Look out for interesting signs and faces on walls and a gallow inn sign. Lots of it is just how it must have been in medieval times. Don't miss the walls - or the different gates. I think you could have a great time there without spending too much... (better keep away from the little craft shops, Lakeland etc.)
    There are loads of places to eat, if you have a picnic you can sit by the castle and there are some seats along the river.
    Enjoy!!
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,30 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=164 £88.25 spent!!!
  • Ruth_honey
    Options
    Loads of great ideas. Thank you! As it's just after my birthday, I think we can splurge on Betty's-if it's as nice as everyone says...;)
  • millerose
    millerose Posts: 794 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 28 April 2014 at 7:36PM
    Options
    I have booked a day out by train for June to York. We have done the Railway Museum to death and although my children love it, I think we will visit something else.

I was thinking about The York Dungeons? but my youngest will nearly be 7, is that too young? I thought about either using Tesco vouchers or the Kellogg's 2 for 1 cereal coupons.

Has anyone been to the Chocolate Story? or Castle Museum?
    Has anyone eaten at Jamie Oliver's Italian Restaurant?

The Castle Museum and Yorkshire Museum have a special £10 ticket for both. Is it possible to visit both in one day? on a Saturday? We would be arriving around 11am and leaving in the evening around 7pm after dinner.

Thank you in Advance x
  • Frondorddu
    Frondorddu Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    As the others have said, York is a great place to walk around. There are volunteer guides who will take you on a guided walk as well as evening ghost walks! Also many places have joint tickets e.g. Castle museum & York museum, which should be doable in a day. I calculated that in my case a York Pass was not best value for money. By the way every time I went past Betty's tea shop there were horrendous queues so be prepared, loads of other lovely tea shops to try and in the mornings you can buy a delicious freshly made curl cake in the market!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure