The Great 'Hidden Worldwide Hostel Gems' Hunt

Options

Comments

• Eliza25_2
    Options
    Generator hostel in Barcelona and Gilligans in cairns, Australia are amazing! Both are more like hotels than hostels. Nomads hostel in Byron Bay Australia is also another good one.
  • jencat
    jencat Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    HI Pigeon Point Lighthouse hostel, on Highway 1 in California - a lighthouse turned into a hostel, where all the dorm rooms are in cute little cottages with a proper living room and kitchen, plus sweeping views of the Pacific. Miles from anywhere of course (you have to drive, realistically, so great for road trips) but Pescadero is relatively nearby for supplies (and has a famous Mexican takeaway). It gets very cosy, depending on how many random people you're sharing a dorm room with, but you do meet some interesting folk there.

There are usually seals camping out on rocks just below the garden, whale watching from the kitchen window (you can waste entire days this way, trust me), and it's right next to a bird sanctuary, but the absolute best bit is the hot tub tucked away behind the lighthouse, overlooking the ocean.
  • dunners85
    dunners85 Posts: 26 Forumite
    Options
    By far the best hostel I have stayed in, and I've stayed in a lot all around the world. ITH is friendly & fun, includes free breakfast, free dinner, free daytime events, free evening events... it's just the best place.
    Plus Florence is pretty good, as is Samesun Vancouver, but I haven't had any terrible hostel experiences, it's always worth saving on accommodation and potentially meeting new friends who add to your experience.
  • Caro200
    Options
    The Salisbury YMCA in HONG KONG is great value and has the same views out into the bay as the Penninsular hotel next door. Obviously at a fraction of the price!!!! Single and double rooms available and family ones, there is also a pool.

Wouldn't stay anywhere else!!!!
  • 1jasper1
    Options
    been to several hostels
    christopher inns london expensive
    barcalona ittaca hostel,central, great value, going again in june
    1jasper1
  • Mosska_16
    Mosska_16 Posts: 32 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just back from Generator Mitte, Berlin. Excellent; had a twin room, basic but spotlessly clean, comfortable beds and a great shower. Wi-fi that works everywhere, a bar, cafe, good breakfast and staff on reception happy to help with anything. Great location in the centre of the city and close to transport. Very impressed indeed.
  • stphnstevey
    stphnstevey Posts: 3,224 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Anybody know any good LA ones or Pacific Coast Highway, California?
  • Bakeacake
    Options
    A few years ago we went as a family from UK to Switzerland by train in summer- quite good value booking well in advance and straightforward. We love the Backpackers hostels we stayed at, particularly Lausanne- close to the station and friendly, and those in a twin room got a lovely view with balcony over Lac Leman twds France. Free trams for visitors. Bettmeralp was slightly more basic, like a log cabin, but with good kitchen area and nearby supermarket. Again right near cablecar station- beautiful scenery.
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Anybody know any good LA ones or Pacific Coast Highway, California?

have you not read the thread? (tip - 14)
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • marsman802
    marsman802 Posts: 558 Forumite
    Options
    Mosska_16 wrote: »
    Just back from Generator Mitte, Berlin. Excellent; had a twin room, basic but spotlessly clean, comfortable beds and a great shower. Wi-fi that works everywhere, a bar, cafe, good breakfast and staff on reception happy to help with anything. Great location in the centre of the city and close to transport. Very impressed indeed.

I loved that place - they organised some great nights out. The place was really cool - more facilities than I envisaged.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure