7 kids and counting.......the debt!

Options

Comments

• in_need_of_direction
    Options
    I'm with you dingaling. I'd cut back on the meat before putting Santa on a diet.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st10lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 42.4% through my pb challenge.
  • ViolaLass
    ViolaLass Posts: 5,764 Forumite
    Options
    Are you really spending nothing on entertainment?
  • ViolaLass
    ViolaLass Posts: 5,764 Forumite
    Options
    beanielou wrote: »
    Maybe you don't have any kids notanewuser?

That doesn't follow, otherwise everyone would spend £100 on their kids for every celebration and no one would comment on it.

You can still have an amazing Christmas and birthday while spending less.
  • dingaling
    dingaling Posts: 56 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sorry, but there's no way on earth would I be spending £100 on presents for a 22 year old at Xmas! Surely you could halve it (at least) for the 22 and 19 year olds?! Ditto birthdays?

If you cut it back for the others once they reach 18 that would save you a fair bit!

I can see what you are saying however, I treat all my children equally. Christmas has to stop because you become an adult? I won't be buying for nieces and nephews beyond 18. But my own children I won't stop buying for until they have children of their own.

Like I said Christmas is a big thing in my house, compared to some people who go mad buying their kids hundreds of pounds worth of goods, I don't think I do too bad. £100 these days doesn't go very far at all. Really their main present is about £50 then the rest is odd and sods. I always buy new hats/gloves as they always get lost, even from Primark this is £5 each, smellies and socks and pants etc, it all adds up.

If it meant losing the roof over our heads or no food on the table then things would of course change. The christmas fund as been dipped into many times over the years.

I try and give the nieces and nephews £20 each per christmas and birthday. Each of my siblings only has two children and my best friend has three, yet they all buy for my 7. I should probably only give them £10 but I am very aware of the discrepancy in numbers.

With the relatives birthdays, I try and take it out of the household budget if I can and then I can use the money saved towards cc payments.
  • dingaling
    Options
    I'm with you dingaling. I'd cut back on the meat before putting Santa on a diet.

At least its not just me! I thought I was doing well doing it on £100 a head!
  • dingaling
    Options
    ViolaLass wrote: »
    That doesn't follow, otherwise everyone would spend £100 on their kids for every celebration and no one would comment on it.

Of course you can, but I would rather do without in other areas.

Entertainment wise, only if there's money in my pocket. I have a cinema unlimited card through my clubcard so with 241 weds, I can take one of the children with me for no cost. I do this very regularly.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,466 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    ViolaLass wrote: »

I don't dispute that but it does get much harder as they get older.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • notanewuser
    notanewuser Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    Options
    Maybe you don't have any kids notanewuser?

I have a 3 year old daughter. What of it?
    Trying to be a man is a waste of a woman
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,466 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    I have a 3 year old daughter. What of it?

I think you will find as they get older it is not unreasonable to spend £100.
    Just my thoughts.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • notanewuser
    notanewuser Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    Options
    I don't dispute that but it does get much harder as they get older.

At 13 maybe. Surely not at 22?!

I'd been living in my own house for 3 years by that age!!
    Trying to be a man is a waste of a woman
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport