PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Perfect roast potatoes ? How do you do yours?

Options

Comments

• stampede
    stampede Posts: 240 Forumite
    Options
    Always found after par boiling for 5 mins, & giving a good shake, leave them to cool & dry out for at least an hour, to ensure no water on the surface before coating with oil & giving a good sprinkle of sea salt.

Type of potatoes is also the most important factor, I tend to use Wilja.
  • Tosca3
    Tosca3 Posts: 91 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I parboil for 7 mins, drain and rough up, sprinkle with salt, then into hot oil.

I can never get them as nice as my Mums though. I think having a gas oven makes a huge difference.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,097 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I parboil, for 10 minutes, in cold water that I heat up. While they parboil I heat about 2 tablespoons of oil, then I drain potatoes, put 1 tablespoon of flour in the saucepan, smash them around a bit and then I pour them from the saucepan into the baking tray. They sizzle slightly and then I turn them once or twice during cooking, which takes about 60-90 minutes.
  • chaliepud
    chaliepud Posts: 401 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I make mine the same way as my Mum has always done.. Make sure potatoes are of an even size, I tend to use Roosters potatoes if finances are stable. Once peeled cut slices that go roughly a quarter of the way through the potato all the way along. I then parboil from cold for around 10 minutes, a little longer if potatoes are large, until they are 2/3 cooked. Drain and give a good shake so they fluff up.
    I then tip and roll into already heated oil (rapeseed if finances allow, sunflower if not), I use a fair bit of oil which I know isn't healthy but in my opinion makes the best roasties. Then bake at around 220c for about 45 mins.
    These are honestly the best roasties you will find, they always get rave reviews from visitors. :)
  • Pipkin
    Pipkin Posts: 575 Forumite
    Options
    You know, if you par boil your potatoes, shake them to fluff them up and then cook them in the deep fat fryer they come out exactly the same as the best roast potatoes..and free up a lot of time and oven space..presented them to a very fussy in law once and she had to admit she could not tell the difference between them and oven roasted.
    M.A.C.A.W member number 39 :D

Those who are inclined to casual cruelty say that inside a fat girl is a thin girl and a lot of chocolate. Terry Pratchett
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I use King Edwards or Maris Piper. Par boil from cold for 15 mins, throw them in to hot sunflower oil, salt & pepper, roast until they're ready.

Par boiling them for longer makes them fluffy on the inside and crunchy on the outside.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • dogmom_3
    dogmom_3 Posts: 76 Forumite
    Options
    I microwave them whole in skins for a few minutes. Then cut into pieces and fluff up by shaking in a large pan. Then add fat (duck or goose is best) and a little salt. Shake again to coat the potatoes.
    Roast at 190-200 until lovely and crispy. I leave the skins on for least effort and extra fibre.

Some varieties are better than others for producing the nice fluffiness which crisps up so well. If you get a non-fluffing variety, sprinkle with flour before adding fat to give you a nice crispsy outer coating.
    February GC 173/200
    March GC £193.60/190
    April 221/£250
  • vodkachick68
    Options
    Par steam for 15 mins then bang them about in the steamer to fluff up the edges. Then into a hot pan of melted lard and marg and Marmite, roll the spuds in this mixture then roast in the normal way. Yummy roasted marmite potatoes!
    That sounds delicious! I shall have to do this next time,good job we are all marmite lovers lol
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    What's supposed to be the idea behind parboiling them? I just put them in the roasting tin raw. If anything, I find that they tend to cook through before the outside has browned, in which case isn't parboiling just going to make them cook through even sooner?
  • smeeinnit
    smeeinnit Posts: 263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have to agree that the potato variety is key - Roosters I have found to be the best for roasties, followed by Maris Piper then King Edwards. I have tried several other varieties but these 3 beat them all. Other than that I do pretty much the same as most, par boil, fluff up, bung in pan with hot oil and turn once during roasting. Perfect :)
    Let's get ready to bumble! :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport