Why do I get charged for receiving peypal payment outside of ebay?

Hi,

Sold item outside of ebay and then got charged for receiving that payment.

Total Amount:
£7.00 GBP
Fee Amount:
-£0.44 GBP
Net Amount:
£6.56 GBP

I though pay pal was free to send and to receive payments for personal user. Am I wrong??!!
Guiding friends to joys and happiness of good life
www . loveofgoodlife . org

Comments

• HairyHatMan
    HairyHatMan Posts: 374 Forumite
    There are no charges for receiving money into a 'personal' paypal account, but you cannot accept payments sourced from credit cards. To accept payments sourced from a credit card you must upgrade to 'premier' account. Charges are always applied to any payments made to a premier account regardless of their origin.

Have a look at Which PayPal account type is right for me?
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,186 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Like HairyHatMan said you must have clicked on a button to upgrade to accept a payment at some point. Now you have an upgraded account you will be charged for receiving all payments.

The good news is though that your account can now be used as a selling account (assuming you do sell) on ebay. Personal accounts are really only good for buying as you cannot use the 'I accept paypal' logo in your auctions unless you can accept payments however they are funded.

Soo
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Inf0war
    Inf0war Posts: 114 Forumite
    Thanks for that,

Looks like one can only receive payments of anytype through premium pay pal account. So if someone sends payment through ebay I get charged ebay fees plus pay pal fees. Terrible.

Is there a better way, cheaper way to receive payments on line?

regards
    Guiding friends to joys and happiness of good life
    www . loveofgoodlife . org
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,186 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Inf0war wrote:
    Thanks for that,

Looks like one can only receive payments of anytype through premium pay pal account. So if someone sends payment through ebay I get charged ebay fees plus pay pal fees. Terrible.

Is there a better way, cheaper way to receive payments on line?

regards

If you can persaude your buyers to use it then bank transfers are great and don't cost anything. They take up to 4 working days to reach the recipient or instantly if they are same bank.

There is also https://www.nochex.co.uk which is not widely used and is marginally cheaper than paypal although do you still pay a fee to receive money however funded and have to pay to withdraw your money if it is less than £50. This also has the disadvantage of being uK only.

If you sell overseas then at th emoment paypal seems to be your only choice. Also as a buyer I would only buy from sellers that offer paypal, so you might wish to consider that as well if chossing other payment methods.

As a seller I offer bank transfers, cheques (reluctantly) and paypal, on an average week 99% of my auctions are paid within 24 hours by paypal.

Soo
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure