Future of tesco, morrisons

Options

Comments

• bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Options
    Rather than just posting 2000 words of cut-n-paste from ii and Fool, could you just give us the links next time?

Or if the Fool stuff is just a mailshot and can't be found online, then give us the salient points that you found interesting and let us know why you agree or disagree...
  • IronWolf
    IronWolf Posts: 6,423 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I used to have a large position in Tesco but luckily sold it a couple of years ago for about 385p. The grocery game is changing and I think Tesco will be fine, but I don't know how profitable they will be. They made a lot of money building big Tesco Extra's then selling off land close by and doing sale and leasebacks. All that was announced to stop by the CEO so I exited.

Personally, I switched from Tesco online to Ocado a few months ago and have never looked back. Tesco were constantly late, there were always substitutions, and delivery was expensive. Ocado gave me a free delivery pass, are always on time, are much more friendly and hardly ever substitute my things.
    Faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.
  • planteria
    planteria Posts: 5,321 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    interesting IronWolf.. i'm interested in both Tesco and Morrisons, but am not entirely convinced yet.
    i don't order groceries online, i go & choose what i want..but maybe, prior to investing, we should all go to stores And order online.
  • grey_gym_sock
    grey_gym_sock Posts: 4,508 Forumite
    Options
    planteria wrote: »
    maybe, prior to investing, we should all go to stores And order online.

and then try to include your grocery bills in the acquisition costs for CGT purposes :)
  • planteria
    Options
    i like it ggs. it's not food and toiletries, it's Investment Cost:)
  • Glen_Clark
    Glen_Clark Posts: 4,397 Forumite
    Options
    More smoke and mirrors. Asda shouted about 1,000 price cuts and quietly increased 1,500 others. The others weren't far behind.
    With net margins around 2% what else can they do?
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” --Upton Sinclair
  • melbury
    melbury Posts: 13,251 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I was in Morrisons this afternoon and it was the quietest I have ever seen it - didn't have to queue up at all.

I was considering their shares as I thought they would rocket once the online shopping was set up, but I am glad I didn't.
    Stopped smoking 27/12/2007, but could start again at any time :eek:

• planteria
    Options
    i was in a fairly new Morrisons store yesterday, and i was, as usual, impressed. i am a foodie..and the store i refer to is very much a food store: not large areas to clothing/household. i think range/quality/price of food are excellent. good stock levels and selection without too much duplication/confusion.
    sentiments seems to keep getting worse, and i keep sitting on my hands...but, as a business, i like it.
    i'm not quite sure how, but they seem to manage to employ 'nice' people...i go in 3 or 4 stores in various areas, and seem to get better service than in Tesco or Asda.
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,116 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Tesco's was pretty dead today.
    Aldi on the other hand was rammed - some were queuing for car park.

I think that tells its own story.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport