Any recommendations for Egypt

Options
HI,

We are thinking of going to Egypt in November.
We have already been to Cairo before so we don't want to go there.
We are thinking of Luxor and Aswan.
Possibly a cruise if that's the best way, but doesn't have to be.

We would like something relatively intellectual i.e. tour guides that know about the sites.

We are thinking of Bales, Hayes & Jarvis or Voyages Jules Verne.

Does anyone have any recommendations (cost not a major factor).

Thanks
Lisa

Comments

• Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If price isn't an issue, the best are Bales.

Don't know if Swan Hellenic are still operating? If they are, I can give you further info if you send me a PM.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • chillibetty
    Options
    Hi, I would strongly recommend Movenpick on Crocodile Island just outside Luxor!! A fantastic 5 star place, with fantastic service and people. There are many tour-guides offered from £15- £45 per person...
    I picked up a special offer for only £300 per person for a week inc. flight on a breakfast basis and food (even at 5 star prices food is really cheap about £2-5 per meal!)
    The place is getting a massive rewamp this year, I saw all the drawings of the plans, because we became friends with the managers too, and they look brilliant. Should be done by November! Hopefully you find a cheap price I got the deal through Discover Egypt! (website address the same)
    Good Luck!
    (Can send you a few pics of the place if you fancy or simply look up movenpick holtes web-site!)
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,635 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi,

Thanks to all those who responded.
    We are currently looking at either Thomas Cook Signature or Voyages Jules Verne for a Nile Cruise.

We have been with both before and have been very happy with them.

Thanks
    Lisa
  • lisyloo
    Options
    If anyone has any comments on our 2 chosen companies (Thomas Cook or Voyages Jules Verne) then I would be grateful (Nile cruise).

There is a substantial difference in price that we can't account for so I would be grateful for any comments especially from people who have been with either company.

Thanks
  • jojo2004
    jojo2004 Posts: 572 Forumite
    Options
    I spent a month in Egypt last summer, so i can recommend a few things.
    Personally I'd steer clear of organised trips - that way you can see what you want when you want, and stay longer in one place if you enjoy it.
    Most trips give you ridiculously short stay - 3 hours in the Valley of the Kings, half an hour at Karnak temple, then back to the boat - which is definately not enough time!! I spent three days in the Valley of the Kings alone.
    ALso, if you have a yen for adventure, I'd receommend styaing in an Egyptian hotel, rather than a European chain. The Movenpick IS lovely, but you can stay at the Happyland Hotel, whcih is £1.50 a night for a twin room, with en-suite and a/c. If you email, address the email to Amir, the owner's son, who is lovely, and he can recommend to you the hotel in Aswan, which he arranged for us - the Keylani, which is similarly cheap. The hotels are basic, no frills, and in back streets, which give a very different view than the Westernised Corniche (where hotels like the Winter Palace are), but the people are amazing.
    My email address is jokyffin@hotmail.com if you want any more info. I also know that my tutor at uni does Egyptological tours sometimes - and I can vouch for his authenticity. The Egyptian "guides" are not only vague, they are usually wrong, as they know a few scandalous stories, designed to encourage "tips"!!
    Hae a grea rip
    j
    :grin:If at first you don't succeed, then sky-diving isn't for you
  • angelwings9
    Options
    :o Gosh did you really go for a month and didn't you get hassle from the locals?
    Are you a professor yourself then?
    If so any chance you would be out there doing guided tours?
    My family are also going out in September and would love some explanations of the more remote sites.
    Have you got fluent Egyptian and if so should I try to learn before we go? Is it the same as haeroglyphs?
    Can we climb the pyramids? If so do we have to pay someone to do so and are they safe to climb as my children love clambering up things?
    I wear glasses, is this likely to be a problem with all the sandstorms?
    Many thanks for your help. :)
  • lisyloo
    Options
    jojo,

Many thanks for taking the time to reply.
    I have discussed with my husband and I'm afraid we're going to be wimpy and go on the organised trip.
    I certainly agree that you probably don't get enough time anywhere but there are a couple of reasons that we think it would be better.
    1) State of the art awter purification adn 5* food. My husband has IBS (iirritable bowel syndrome) and will suffer if he gets any food that is slightly dodgy or not even what we are used to. He has to be really careful.
    2) The trips have expert egyptologists and I know from friends that sometimes local guides just make it up.
    We are fairly well read on Egypt so want some expert guides not ones who know less than we do.
    3) Organisation - we will have the whole tour organised for us, including flights to Abu Simbel. To get this all done yourself must be at least time consuming if not possible.
    4) The hassle factor (and this is a BIG one). We think we'll stand out like a sore thumb in a non-western hotel and be subject to loads of hassle.
    We just don't want it.

I do however appreciate your reply and it certainly has some merits - it's just not for us.

We are thinking of going with Thomas Cook.
    They are very expensive but we can get about £300 off with various offers which brings it down a bit.
    They take you to the airport, you have use of the VIP lounge, they manage the luggage, you have a full time tour manager and expert guides.

Thanks
    Lisa
  • Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We went to Egypt (17 day cruise from Aswan to Cairo) quite a few years ago so things may be different nowadays? :-/

When we went, you had to hire a fully qualified/licensed Egyptian guide to enter any of the sites, so I'm not sure how easy it would be to travel around the many sites without an organised party/group.

We went inside the pyramids but were not allowed to climb up them.

We went in June, it was very hot (a dry heat though, not humid) but we didn't have any sand storms.

On our Egyptian holiday, we had a tour guide and a licensed Egyptian guide who was extremely knowledgable and we had plenty of time at each site.

Be prepared for early morning starts, to avoid the midday sun and heat. I think we had to get up at three o' clock for our flight to Abu Simbel........but it was worth it.

Also, if you're on a cruise........watch out for the tea and coffee. We all suffered tummy upsets, not due to the food, it was because the hot drinks were made with Nile water!

They may tell you/warn you about the bilhazia snail fluke in the Nile river and you'll see the locals washing their laundry in it. I even saw a dead animal floating down the Nile........not what you'd want to make your cuppa with! :o

Enjoy your Egyptian holiday

Nile
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure